Squeak Squeak Squeak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeak Squeak Squeak ?

Here's a weird one for you - a few days ago, I noticed a tick-tick-tick noise from 'somewhere' on the engine of my XS1100 (F), it sounded like it was coming from the advance - I'd read this post the very same day :

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...hlight=advance

- and bookmarked it for further use.

Then, this morning, I took the bike as far as the local petrol station (about a mile away), and my 'tick-tick-tick' appears to have been replaced by a 'squeak-squeak-squeak' noise (wasn't like that when I left home - probably had a chance to warm up ?)

When I got the bike, it hadn't been used for many years - yes, I did check for mice

I've just had the advance cover off and all seems ok - tried the 'finger over the end of the vacuum thingie' test described in the above post and there's a good vacuum there (also glad to see that one of the PO's had done the wire fix in there)

Any ideas ?

Just started the bike up again (engine still warm), and the squeak has gone now ?

Cheers
    Chris
    XS1100 Powered Trike - 1980 engine ?
    (http://www.catdna.co.uk/album/slides/IMG_2984.JPG)

XS1100 F - with an SG engine

If you have not yet used some silicone lube on the advance mechanism, now would be the time. I've found that when these sit, all the oils and grease dries up, and needs to be cleaned off and replaced.
    Just my 2 pence
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      If you have not yet used some silicone lube on the advance mechanism, now would be the time. I've found that when these sit, all the oils and grease dries up, and needs to be cleaned off and replaced.
      Just my 2 pence
      Are you saying I should remove the entire mechanism ? I've found the page in the Haynes manual showing the 'exploded view' (which is usually what anything I take apart looks like ), but as usual for Haynes, the details are a little vague - any 'gotchas' I should look for when removing / greasing these up ?

Also, any recommendations for the type of grease ? I only have a big tube of copper and I guess that won't do.

Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Some of the bikes have had the bearings around the outside of the system rusty, so I guess I would pull it. You do NOT need to pull everything out, just the large components. The first is the 6mm(IIRC) bolt holding the timing plate on. Be SURE TO MARK THE PLATE before removing it! IT WILL go on 180 out1 Then you remove the three screws that hold the rest of the assembly in and remove it. Clean everything with Kerosene or diesel, dry, lube, and re-assemble. You will need to reset the TDC pointer and after that the timing.
        I use synthetic grease, Mobil 1 or RedLine on this side of the pond. Any place I can't get too with grease, I use silicone lube in a spry can.
        Good luck!
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
          Some of the bikes have had the bearings around the outside of the system rusty, so I guess I would pull it. You do NOT need to pull everything out, just the large components. The first is the 6mm(IIRC) bolt holding the timing plate on. Be SURE TO MARK THE PLATE before removing it! IT WILL go on 180 out1 Then you remove the three screws that hold the rest of the assembly in and remove it. Clean everything with Kerosene or diesel, dry, lube, and re-assemble. You will need to reset the TDC pointer and after that the timing.
          I use synthetic grease, Mobil 1 or RedLine on this side of the pond. Any place I can't get too with grease, I use silicone lube in a spry can.
          Good luck!

I took the bike out for a quick spin - the squeaking started again after about 2 mins :-(

So, turned around and went home.

Took the cover off and then sprayed a bucket load of ACF-50 into and around the advance mechanism (through the holes by the adjusted screws too )

Took it back out and the squeak has gone !

I know it's just a temporary fix until I do the 'grease-up', but after 10 miles, still no squeak ! (forgotten how good that ACF-50 is as a lubricant, I only really use it to protect my shiny bits).

As for marking the plate - if I were to set the 'wheel' / crank to 'C' (if you know what I mean), then shouldn't reassembling it be pretty straight forward ? (I have a timing gun to readjust), I don't really want to break this bike - it runs nicer than the XS11 trike I have !

Cheers
          Chris

Comment

I had a terrible intermittent squeak/squeal on my standard that sounded like it was coming from the engine. After a bit of diagnosing, it turned out to be coming from the speedometer. I pulled and greased the speedo and it has never done it since. A couple years later the same thing happened on my special with the same cure. Sometimes on these bikes, the sounds can be real deceiving as to their origin. May not be your problem, but just another thing to try.
            1980 XS 1100 Standard
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            1982 XJ 1100
            1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Originally posted by D. P. Larmee View Post
              I had a terrible intermittent squeak/squeal on my standard that sounded like it was coming from the engine. After a bit of diagnosing, it turned out to be coming from the speedometer. I pulled and greased the speedo and it has never done it since. A couple years later the same thing happened on my special with the same cure. Sometimes on these bikes, the sounds can be real deceiving as to their origin. May not be your problem, but just another thing to try.
              Definitely not the speedo or cable - it was also happening while the bike was stationary - although it's a good point - I have a squeak on my GS550 chop which only happens while moving (that, and the speedo shows I'm doing 140mph sometimes !..... which I find hard to believe for a hardtail GS550 !)

The ACF-50 seems to have done the trick on the XS - I'll have a stab at tearing out the advance over the weekend and greasing it up properly.

Cheers
              Chris

Comment

SOLVED !

The squeak came back !

The 'squeak' wasn't actually coming from the timing assembly at all - I had a friend listen to it as well while the bike was running - turns out one of the carb rubbers was slightly loose, and at certain vibrations / rpm was causing the 'squeak' ! tightened it up and could hear the squeak vanishing / appearing again as we tightened and slackend it !

I do have a new set of rubbers to fit, just want to get my carb balancer back first so I can do them at the same time.

Cheers
                Chris

Comment

So what you were hearing was a vacuum leak then.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                    So what you were hearing was a vacuum leak then.
                    I guess so yeah - it only happened when the bike was cold and either stationary or upto about 10mph (and then, only now and again) - I guess after that the bike had enough vacuum from the engine to pull the rubber closed ! :-)

Still waiting on getting my carbtune tool back (hopefully this weekend) so I can put the new ones on and balance the carbs.

Cheers
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X