Wiring harness with and without fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring harness with and without fairing

I've stripped down my frame completely on my 78 restoration project, removed the paint off it and reprimed and repainted it. Now I am looking at the wiring harness and I have a question. The bike originally was equipped with the Yamaha fairing. I am restoring it as a standard without the fairing. So... was the wiring harness typically altered from the standard harness? It looks to me like there are some crimp connectors that don't quite appear to be factory installed. Or does the fairing pigtail connect to the standard harness without making any modifications? I haven't acquired a headlight bucket and front turn signals yet so I'm not sure what the harness needs to look like at the front of the bike. I am going too look at the image of the harness from the parts book an see if it appears to match to what I have.

Thanks for the help!
    '78 XS1100E
    '83 XVZ12

Not usually.

The vetter fairing, at least, usually just had all the correct ends to plug into the various functions it needed. This all hooked up in where the headlight bucket went.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The '78 with the original Yamaha/Pacifico fairing had the harness just plug into the OEM harness. There are NO crimp connectors on it, if it's still factory. I can't say about the Windjammer, as the only one I had I put on the bullet connectors so it would just plug in.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

my Vetter Quicksilver just plugged into the headlight plug and turn signal wiring sockets in the headlight bucket.
        I wouldn't think they would change the wiring for production bikes with or without fairings.
        Dave
        1978 XS1100E

Comment

One more question...

As I studied the harness briefly this morning I realized the "crimp connectors" I metioned previously actually were on the pigtail for the fairing. So, thanks to everyone's feedback, I believe I have an "un-altered" harness.

My next question: OK; here is this harness that is 30+ years old, copper stranded wires, 34K miles, possible corrosion and so on... Does anyone have any tips as far as something I should do with this harness before it's cleaned and reinstalled? Cleaning any oxidation off all of the connectors seems obvious but I'm just thinking is there something I can do to insure all will be well when it's all back together. The last thing I want is an electrical problem after it's all reassembled or is it just somewhat of a crap shoot? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the help
          '78 XS1100E
          '83 XVZ12

Comment

Clean all the connectors and when plugging them in, use dielectric grease.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
            X