NEW project.....'78 XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW project.....'78 XS11

So on July 3, 08 I bought my '79 XS11 Special. Great bike almost 100% stock, just needing a little tlc and someone who knows how to spin a wrench. One issue that needed addressing was the stock exhaust. It had been welded on several times, beat on with a hammer, sounded sick (and not the good kind of sick!!) and looked worse. Well I found a good Jardine for a good price and was going to buy it. Then my brother in law called and told me about an XS on the local craigslist for $300 or parts. I went and looked at it and there were several good parts so I asked the kid how much he wanted for everything and he said $175. I thought about it and thought hmmm.....I've already explained to my wife how I needed the exhaust for $170 and now I need to figger out how to explain why I need a bike that's complete but in pieces!!! No easy task.
    Then I realized that since the engine is outta the frame, I didn't see the exhaust. I ask the kid if the bike has an exhaust and he pulls a nice 4-1 Kerker out of the shed!!!!
    SOLD!!!!
    So, now I have only a few small issues to deal with regarding my special (nothing that keeps me off of it!) and it'll be 'finished' as well as a complete parts bike. What to do, what to do......
    I've been talking to my 12 year old about maybe getting him a bike in a couple of years. He wants a crotch rocket.....ugh.
    Well, after getting the 'new' bike, I started talking to him about building it up so that he can ride it to high school. He wasn't too sure until I showed him a beautiful XS cafe racer on youtube. Once he saw that video he got pumped and said that he wanted to do something like that!! Screw the crotch rocket!!
    So over the next couple of years on the weekends, we will be doing a son and father cafe racer project build. I say son and father because I'm going to let him learn how to build a bike and I'm just going to be helping.
    So I started this thread talking about how on 7-3-08 I got my special.....well, on 7-2-09 my son got his standard!!!!!
    Wonder what my wife will get 7-1-10??????
    '96 Kawasaki ZX11, bought February 5, 2015

'79 Kawasaki LTD 1000, bought Oct 19,2010.....sold Sept 12, 2013

'81 XS11 Special, bought May 6, 2010.....sold Oct 19,2010

'79 XS 11 Special, bought July 3rd, 2008

'78 XS11 Standard, bought July 2, 2009.....sold Aug 25, 2011

That's easy... the obvious choice... a good Maxim!
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
    X