Starter relay switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter relay switch

I had the bike running but after a week in Disneyland, I returned to find that the battery was low. I charged it and went to start the bike. It turned over but would not start.

After a few cranks, the starter relay switch began to click, but the starter does not seem to turn.

Any suggestions? Do I need a new relay switch or am I looking at a new starter.... Or worse.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Check the voltage on the battery first. Even though it may seem charged, the voltage may not be high enough to get things moving. How old is the battery?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The battery was charged and kicking the engine over some. Then it quit and the relay started to click when I hit the start button

The battery was on the bike when I bought it last August.
      Sam Christensen

Comment

I'd still say check the voltage with a multimeter. Also be sure the cells are properly filled, and not dried out.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Check the water level in the battery first. If the battery has been siting for a season or two, it will loose water due to evaporation unless it is one of the maintenance free batteries. If the water level is down about half way and you recharge it, it will look like a fully charged battery but have no staying power. It will discharge very rapidly. If the water level is ok then check each cell for a low cell that will not charge up. If this is the case then you will have to replace the battery.

Comment

I am no electrician and will check the battery this evening. I am confused as to why it would suddenly stop turning the starter. It doesn't seem like anything is happening past the starter relay switch (the one that the positive battery cable is hooked to.) Is that an indicator of a low battery?

Just trying to learn more, thanks for the advice, I will let you know.
            Sam Christensen

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
              I am no electrician and will check the battery this evening. I am confused as to why it would suddenly stop turning the starter. It doesn't seem like anything is happening past the starter relay switch (the one that the positive battery cable is hooked to.) Is that an indicator of a low battery? Just trying to learn more, thanks for the advice, I will let you know.
              Hi Sam,
              run booster cables from your car battery and hit the button. If the starter spins the engine over the bike's battery is either hooped or sucked flat.
              If the starter solenoid just clicks even when the bike battery is boosted short the solenoid across it's terminals (this bypasses the solenoid's presumably dirty contacts) and see what happens.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
              X