Hey, this search thing really works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, this search thing really works!

Just a small testimonial on how the "search" function helped me to solve a recent electrical issue on my bike. I became the proud owner of a nice 80 XS1100 Special recently. After an outing Friday to have the rear tire replaced, upon cranking the bike to return home, I realized I had an issue with the starter turning over slow. It did start and upon my return home, I performed a search on this forum to read up and investigate what I need to be investigating first. My exact symptoms were the starter would turn over ok and the battery never ran down, the starter simply would only turn at what seemed like about 65% of normal speed. My search here produced a list of about 15-20 items I needed to check. Since the bike was totally new to me, I started by attempting to give the battery an overnite charge on my trickle charger. Problem is after 24 hrs. she was still charging so I removed the battery and realized most of the cells were very low. Installed new battery, removed plugs to perform a compression check and even with the plugs removed, the starter continued to turn over at about 65%. So, I am sure I needed a new battery, but other issues persist. Now that I had a good battery fully charged I started on my list of items to check.

In short, my problem was coming from the braided mid engine ground wire. After cleaning and reinstalling the ground, problem solved. My battery ground wire to chassis also needed attention.

So folks, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, much of it documented and accessible thru the search function. I certained solved my problem easily using it. Thanks for this great forum. Ed
    Ed Jones
    Lenoir, NC, USA

Currently:

1982 CB900 Custom(project still)
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1977 Honda CB750F
    1976 Honda CB750K6

Doesn't it feel great when you can do stuff like that? If nothing else, this place is a great Self Esteem booster!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
    X