Air Cleaner Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cleaner Drain

My air cleaner housing appears to have some sort of drain. This drain hole is always open (appox. 1/4" diameter) allowing unfiltered air into the carburetors.

Is this normal or is there suppose to be a plug in there?

Thanks
    John in El Paso
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G
    2002 Honda Goldwing
    1977 Yamaha TY250
    1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

There is supposed to be a plastic piece there that holds a small foam filter. This piece snaps on to the air box. You can get one from Bikebandit.com, P/N 22591-001, $6.59 ea.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The drain is located on the inside of the filter element, which is the dirty side. Any air that would enter the drain will be filtered before it goes to the carbs.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

That's not entirely true ken. The drain is in the 'clean' area of the airbox. It is located in front of the filter, hence the foam material that should be in there.

Comment

Oops - John is of course correct. The airbox drain is in fact on what is supposed to the clean side. My bad...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

foam material

Apparently, my air filter housing was missing the foam. I cut a piece of air cleaner foam, oiled it , popped the cover off, and installed the foam.

Hope that works.
            John in El Paso
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G
            2002 Honda Goldwing
            1977 Yamaha TY250

Comment

I use a bit of metal screen material between the inside of the air box and the foam. It will keep the foam from being sucked into the airbox when it gets dirty, and keep any flash fires from escaping the box in case of backfires. Just cut it to fit the square hole for the filter, and then install the filter and plastic keeper. The OEM material was a square of sintered bronze. (sp?)
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Metal Screen

Ray,

Thanks for the info. I thought about putting in a metal screen but didn't see any screen handy. There is probably something here I can use. I have a lot junk including radio parts.

Thanks,

John
                N5RK
                John in El Paso
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G
                2002 Honda Goldwing
                1977 Yamaha TY250

Comment

Working...
                X