Dragstrip Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragstrip Technique

I am thinking about going to the local dragstip (Music City Raceway) to see how well the old XS can get down the 1/8 mile track. I really don't want to make a fool of myself getting off the line and wondered how some of you manage to launch yours.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

What works best for me is to hold the RPM at around 4K. Sit close to the tank and lean forward, with both feet on the ground. When the last green light goes out, I feather the clutch in, while rolling on the throttle. Keeping both feet close to the ground until the clutch is all out. Pull my feet in and hang on. Get ready for a significant power surge as the RPM pulls from 4K to 7K. The front end should come up about 15"-18".

Start out easy until you get the feel of the motor. The XS torque curve is impressive and can catch you off guard.

Shifting will take some practice. I power shift with a slight pull on the clutch lever and chopping the throttle for a slit second.

The shaft drive provides for an interesting launch. Done correctly, the whole bike will lift evenly until the rear has reached its limit. The front will continue to rise. It is kind of scary at first to feel all that weight lifting. Hang on and ride it out. The front wheel will settle back to earth about the time a shift needed. If you shift at the right time, the front wheel will come back up about 6"- 8".

I shift by the sound of the motor. I listen for the RPM pull to start dropping. I keep my eyes glued to the road and don't worry about gauges.

I don't like to over rev my XS( 9k max ). All of its power is in the mid RPM range.

Practice is the best way to get it right. How your XS is setup also has a lot to do with how you launch. I have clip-on handle bars, with my front dropped down on the forks. This puts me in a weight forward position. I am afraid if I tried this same launch technique on my Special, I would get a whole bunch of wheelie (too scary). Type of exhaust, jetting and riding position all factor in.

Rear wheel spin has never been an issue. The rear lifting of the shaft drive is forcing the rear tire into the track, providing perfect traction.

My brother and I both raced XSs in the '80s. While I never was able to be consistent enough to when at bracket racing, my brother brought home several first place trophies. The best I got was 2nd place (lost to my little brother). Haven't been to a track since, but will never forget the rush. In those days, the XS was king of the 2 wheel stockers. The KZz and GSs where tough competitors. The driver made the difference.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

DENNYZ,

Thanks for all the great info. I guess I should try it a few times before I do it at the strip. I'm riding a Special that is pretty much stock except the air filter and rear shocks. Sounds like I should set the rear shocks to the heaviest spring setting and take the air out of the front forks.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Stiffening up the rear is a good idea. I would not let the air out of your front forks. You will be hitting a decent top speed and want to keep the front end stable. Tightening up the steering bearings will help.

Start by launching at 2K and work up. Cutting a good light is 90% of drag racing. Getting your launch down will really help. Once you get the weight of the bike moving, the rest is shifting and hanging on. I would image an XS should be able to do the 1/8 mile in 3rd gear.

Regardless how you do at the track, you will have a blast and learn a little more about your XS. She might be old, but she still can give a good run.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

I use a sorta similar technique, only I stage at redline and abuse the clutch a lot more, after that pretty much the same. One thing to remember is don't stand there flat-footed ,you will cause a big wheelie that will make you let off and lose time (plus you'll look like a dork) Use the end of your feet and have them back more around the rear peg area. like Dennyz said you want it to wheelie some. But the main thing is remember to have fun and be safe! Also people will only come up to you and ask you to run if they think they can beat you. It's sorta like gunslingin' sooner or someone will be faster. If you get good at your holeshot it will blow your mind how many crotch-rockets you will dust off. Good luck and let us know how you did. P.S. I like to ride my bike to the strip so I'm at the top of my game when I get there, and also leave on the last YELLOW not green (too late) Garry
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Oops! I meant the last yellow also.

Good tip on the feet.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Hey Bill,

Also, depending on the rules of the track, they may require a bit more safety gear/clothing than you may normally wear/use, like full leathers, or at least a leather jacket, leather chaps, boots, full face helmet, gloves. You may want to call the track and inquire about their required dress code for participants, jeans may not be enough!

And have someone take lots of pictures and video if you can!!! I'm wanting to do the same thing at a track near me, just been too busy with other stuff, and the tracks aren't too close, 90 or so miles away! Have fun, and be safe!!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

June 27th is getting closer... I have the video camera ready... I have started practicing launching on the new concrete they just finished on the highway, some older concrete lets the back tire spin, 4k launches is about what I am doing. I will be going to either Houston raceway park, or to the new IHRA track north of me.
                At Houston, leather jacket, long leather gloves, blue jeans, and high top leather boots.

over 120MPH requires full leathers and kill lanyard
                Shawn
                78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                78 XS1100E Parts
                www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Well unless Your XS is REALLY nasty I don't think you'll have to worry about that! Garry
                  Garry
                  '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                  outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Well I guess I'm getting blind, didn't notice the 1/8th mile part! It'll be a toss up on the 3rd gear shift but you might have to. Should be in the 7:80s or so round about 90 mph at my altitude and with a stock(basically) bike. I'm about a 1000ft. (high) so times would be faster at closer to sea level. Garry
                    Garry
                    '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                    outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Inflate your front tire to max PSI (lower rolling resistance) and lower the rear to half max PSI (more rubber on the ground). I did this with my 400 Honda back in the day. Best time was low 14's at around 85-90 MPH. Only comment anyone made was that they couldn't hear my bike it was so quiet.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

A local motorcycle dealer www.sloansmotorcycle.com sponsors the bike night at the strip and is only open to stock, or almost stock, bikes with no wheelie bars and must have a real muffler. I'm not looking to win but thought it could be fun. I haven't participated in a legal drag race since high school although I did smoke a guy in his new corvette last weekend.
                        Last edited by nashville_bill; 06-05-2003, 07:32 AM.
                        Bill Murrin
                        Nashville, TN
                        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Just remember to keep your front tire out of the water! When you use the brake doing burnouts & chirpies you could go down right in front of everybody, BTDT Garry
                          Garry
                          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
                          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

Working...
                          X