Clear All

• Tranzac Exhaust System

Hey Guys,
    I got Ausloneriders bike the other day,
    fitted was a Tranzac Exhaust System, ive never heard
    of this exhaust system before but im pretty impressed with
    its layout, its a 4-2-1, the headers are all equal in length,
    as are the secondary pipes before it goes into the straight thru
    baffled muffler, the quality of the exhaust is very strong.
    heres a cpl of pics

should clean up nicely

pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

What is the pipe diameters of the headers, the secondary and final pipe? It looks something like a set Cody had shipped from the UK. All stainless, but ALL TUBES WERE THE SAME DIAMETER! Pipe would NOT flow the gasses well at all.
    A proper pipe should be something like this: 1.5" into 2" into 2.5". This is NOT an exact formula, but just an example of what you need to flow the gasses. The pipes in the picture look as if all the tubes are the same diameter.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My buddy and I managed get a hold of what seems to be a one-off tri-Y header for his KZ1000. This header had good size diameter pipes that increased from the 4-2 as well as the 2-1. It was also set up with paired cylinders. So, 1 & 4 were paired on the one side 4-2, and 2 & 3 were paired on the other the way the Jardine Spaghetti's are. We matched it to a Vance and Hines muffler. The performance was unbelievable. And, we have had several different systems on the bike to compare it to. I would love to have a similar system built for my XS.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Zorst system

Tranzac are still in business. do net search.

Comment

the only pipes

I have used, had a set on my GSX11 also 81, & now a set on my XS IMHO a top notch set of pipes that sound brilliant WOT, that and the whine from the box nothing better,,,,,the only thing is you have to keep the two into one junction clean,,,,prone to rusting thru
          never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
          can fly

1981 rh 5N5
          MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
          1188cc
          4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
          as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
          http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

Ray,
            the pipe diameters are, headers - 38mm
            primary pipes - 42mm
            54mm into the muffler
            muffler has 30mm outlet.
            I dont know why those pipes didnt work on Codys bike, i think from memory
            he had after market cams, maybe that made a difference, from what i know, performance headers try and keep the headers the same length.

Cueball,
            I tried looking them up but there site said it no longer existed,
            have u got a link?

Steptoe,
            I thought i saw someone else with a tranzax exhaust, thanx for letting me know what you think.

Well i put em on yesterday, Its a lot quieter than i thought it would be,
            the bike sounds, feels and pulls smoothly throughout the rev range.

Ill take a vid of it running when i get it out next.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Hey, Ray...
              If you're talking about that set Maximan paid big bucks for that time from the U.K.... He told me about that recently when I was considering going for that 4-1 Hooker setup for my Maxim. His response was, "Go for it if you like it 'cause it looks or sounds cool, but don't assume you'll get any big power increase. In fact, you could lose some." He the told me that's what he found when he installed that setup on 'Zilla. Put it on the dyno, and saw a drop in horsepower & torque. Uncorked it, and it jumped back up.
              That's why he got rid of it. He was looking for a performance INCREASE, and was disappointed with the results.

When I look @ the pics of this system, it looks pretty restrictive to me.

I'd expect a similar result... not to mention the carb tuning problems it could create, JMHO.

I always thought the goal you shot for in any internal combustion engine was to create "free breathing". (Like dual exhaust was always the trick on cars.) I'm relatively new to bikes, so I admit I'm by no means an expert guru.
              But wouldn't you want to achieve the same thing on a bike as well?

I ask this because my curiousity has been stirred... I see several going the 4-1 route lately... does this gain more power over the stock dual setup, or is it all about looks and sound... sometimes at the expense of performance?

I await your responses, fellow XSer's. Just curious.
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Tranzac

Tranzac Motorcycle Exhausts
                1117 Beenleigh Redland Bay Rd
                Carbrook
                QLD, 4130
                Aust

(07) 3206 8354

according to a Yellow pagews search on Google

Comment

Hi XJ,
                  Ive tried searching heaps on the internet for exhaust
                  systems for 4 cylinder engines, couldnt find anything,
                  theres heaps of info on v6/8 engines, dual exhausts
                  are a better flowing system, better flowing again is when a 'H' pipe is fitted across the system, an 'X" pipe is suppose to be better again.

From what ive read about 4-2-1 is suppose 2 increase mid range
                  torque at the expense of the top end slightly.

Cueball,
                  Cheers, didnt think of the yellow pages, was looking 4 a website.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots

Comment

For street riding, the stock XS1100 system is heavy, but works VERY WELL. The problem is they are no longer available new, and can cost more than the bike for a nice used set.
                    For all out performance, the 4 into 1 with equal length headers are probably best, although I could be wrong. I just have not looked into new systems for a while.
                    The set Cody had on Zilla had ALL pipes the same diameter, and it DID choke off the bike badly! I was there when we first put them on and it didn't want to rev well at all.
                    As in almost everything else, YMMV.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      I was there when we first put them on and it didn't want to rev well at all.
                      Did he try any carb tuning before he decided to remove them? My bike is all stock except the Jardine and it felt the same, didnt want to rev out... Wasnt till I had the carbs cleaned and needle height adjusted that it grew a pair. (Little different scenario but may be relevant?)
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

New Mufflers...

During the Colo. trip, I happened to notice I was inhaling a lot more exhaust smell while riding than normal. At the next stop, got off, and found my left side muffler had cracked... all the way around. No wonder the smell was so bad... and the fairing was only helping it stick around me like a fog!

So, since I've had no luck finding XJ mufflers, (big surprise there...) I bought a set new from J.C. Whitney. Just got them this evening.

They're the slash cut megaphones, item 017555... but they're slash cut to the side instead of from top to bottom the way the stock one's are.

Gonna try to get time tomorrow to try 'em out. Let you know.

Anybody had experience with these before? They're $60 ea. w/ free shipping.
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
                        X