Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different reaction with throttle twisting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, DragonTamer... it must be a gremlin! Cause if you HADN"T
    removed that cover, the tire would've never gone flat!!! But since ya did... Happens every time! (And yeah, that really sucks! )
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by CA View Post
      I have never played with a clutch before so I have no idea what half the terms mean including clutch springs, so if I pop off the clutch cover do I need to drain any oil? Is there a gasket there that I would need to replace? I need to see it before I understand anything. I want to try the clutch cable adjustment but the tech tip didnt say anything about draining oil or replacing gaskets....sorry learning as i go!!

Thanks!
      CA,
      Here is some more info about the clutch repair that might be of interest. Im about to replace my friction plates and springs too, and had some questions that couldnt be answered by searching the forum. The tech tips give a great step by step process, it shouldnt be too hard.

Additional info: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23227
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I know a lot of people are stuck on gaskets for whatever reason. I think silicone is better than a paper or cork gasket from working on countless leaking valve covers and oil pans over the years. What ever your opinion, why let a bike sit when a tube of silicone could get you back on the road, even if you put a gasket in later when you get it. Too much lost fun if you ask me.

Thats just my free advice...you get what you pay for.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

One better than silicone is "the Right Stuff" from Permatex. It's used on almost all new engines, and works VERY WELL on our bikes. It's not as cheap as silicone RTV, but all the hot rod builders are using it because it works.
          I just clean all the old gasket off the engine side, and clean and degrease the cover side. Apply a thin bead to the cover, let it set for at least 15 minutes, and install. I've used it on valve covers with no leaks after 2K miles, so I'm very happy with it.
          As Ivan has said:
          Thats just my free advice...you get what you pay for.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X