Melted stator wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melted stator wires

This is the first year riding this bike, and it's been great except for not seeming to charge the battery enough, when I reved the engine the lights got brighter, but not bright enough. If I were to hit the brakes when a blinker was on, the blinker would stop blinking unless I reved the engine.

It seemed to be getting worse, the lights stopped getting brighter when I reved it, and reving the engine no longer kept the blinkers blinking when the brakes were applied.]

So, I got out a multi-meter and did a voltage test across the battery terminals and sure enough it wasn't charging. The voltmeter just stayed at 12 volts no matter the RPM.

I tested the regulator/rectifier unit according to the clymer manual, but was confused because the test is unclear about one of the wires to test. They list the red wire from the rectifier as "B1" and the brown wire from the regulator as "b2". The last set of wires to test on their chart says " B to G1" They don't specify which "B" they want you to check to the "G1" (Ground on the rectifier).
    So until I can find out which wire they mean by "B", I can't tell if my regulator is good or not. Does anybody know which one they mean?

Anyway, I decided to proceed looking over the wiring on the bike, in case it could be something else.
    So, I take off the fuse panel mount, to look at the wiring behind there, and Wholy Sh@t.... the three white wires that come from the stator and run under the engine up behind the fuse panel are all melted and burned!

Two of the wires were only touching by a couple of strands, and one was still attached, but all were melted and/or heat discolored.

Someone had twisted together and heat shrinked the three wires to a three way plug connector, and it was even melted so bad I can't pull it apart.

So I soldered some new individual connectors in the place of the three way one, started it up, and wow, charging like normal.

But...... I kept a close eye on the new connections, and sure enough when I grabbed them after running for a couple of minutes, they were getting very hot. Too hot.

When one of them started smoking, I shut it down and let it cool.

Does anyone happen to know why these three white wires would be getting sooo hot? I was thinking that the regulator is indeed bad and it doesn't stop charging.

Hellpp!!!
    1979 xs1100sf
    1972 cb500 four

Hot wires is probably a short someplace, only too much current will cause the wires to get burn. Check all wires to voltage reg, check everthing for wire condition. Are fuses the right size or has somebody put in a fuse for something that is too big?
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I agree with Mr. Granger. The short would probably have to be between the stator and the regulator or the volt regulator is overcharging to the max. I'll bet if that is the case, your battery water is low.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

That is not to say that low water is the cause, but overcharging will boil a battery in short order.

Originally posted by skids
        I agree with Mr. Granger. The short would probably have to be between the stator and the regulator or the volt regulator is overcharging to the max. I'll bet if that is the case, your battery water is low.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I think I've found the answer. The battery is brand new, and the bike seemed to be charging enough since I first ran it, even though the PO told me that he had a new alternator installed about a year and a half ago.

I found this link http://www.ducatisuite.com/wiring.html which points to a page that tells Ducati owners how to fix this very same thing from happenning on their bikes...

My problem (I think) was that I repaired the bad three prong plug conector with three individual ones. I have since put in brand new 14 guage in place of those.

Now when I run it , they don't get burning hot, like before, they just get barely warm, BIG improvement.

So I guess ANY significant resistance in these particular wires is a very bad thing. Maybe some of the posts I seee here about weak charging systems may have something similar going on.
          I'm just glad I didn't have a fire, from the shape the old connector was in, combustion may not have been far off.

Thanks for your reply guys, I will post again to confirm that all is well after a few test rides.
          1979 xs1100sf
          1972 cb500 four

Comment

Originally posted by Targetman
            I think I've found the answer. The battery is brand new, and the bike seemed to be charging enough since I first ran it, even though the PO told me that he had a new alternator installed about a year and a half ago.
            That should have been, the bike NEVER seemed to be charging enough. ooops
            1979 xs1100sf
            1972 cb500 four

Comment

Same issue here, what did you find out?

Comment

Did your stator plug look like this?

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/...torPlug004.jpg

I replaced mine with a Honda Stator plug kit. Apparently they have the same problem.

Wayne
                80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Geezer sells the OEM plug. Very easy to replace and have working again quickly. I originally had to solder the wires together, but when I replaced my field coil/alternator, I decided to put the proper plug back in there. Definitely a common plug to melt, so be sure you coat the connections with dielectric grease to keep corrosion out.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Rider View Post
                    Man, that is the wost one I have seen yet!
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      Man, that is the wost one I have seen yet!
                      I know. Everybody says that. I just can't seem to part with it.

Wayne
                      Last edited by Phoenix Rider; 02-22-2011, 09:50 PM.
                      80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                      Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Rider View Post

I replaced mine with a Honda Stator plug kit. Apparently they have the same problem.
                        Wayne
                        I show how to replace the plug here..
                        http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/GWstatorplug.html

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Geezer. I would have never known my connection was melting.
                          I ordered the connectors and regretably had to snip the wires.
                          79 Special
                          2012 FJR1300
                          78 E (project. Clutch problems from PO) Must sell

Comment

Snipping a little off the ends of the wires usually isn't noticed in the over all length. I had to take a half inch off some of the repaired wires on my bike and all still reach fine...

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                            X