Question from a noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question from a noob

Hi guys, great website. Very informative, and I am looking forward to using it frequently. I just bought a 1980 xs1100 from a friend of a friend. It has a pretty cool custom airbrushed paint job, and the emblems have all been removed. It needs a few small things to get it going, which I have been checking out here and on Ebay. I have removed the seat(thrashed) and the carbs for cleaning (diesel?) and new lines as indicated in these threads. I have read that the "Special" is a little different from the standard, (i.e. the seat is different, the rear wheel is smaller) but is there an easy way to tell which one mine is? Any advice would be appreciated.

Post your VIN number, I think people know which one it would be by the VIN number

WOW, haven't been to Lethbridge in a long time! Had a few work related trips up there!
    Dave
    1978 XS1100E

Comment

Welcome,you've stumbled on a wealth of knowledge.

Can you post a pic?
      Then everyone can tell you pretty much what year each part is, or if it looks like it has all the right parts from original.
      Plus we just like pics of these old girls.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

oops. Just read the forum title again!

Ok, here goes...the vin is 3U9000783. The tank, seat, and carbs are off right now so it doesn't look like much, but after a good cleaning and reassembly, I will figure out how to post a pic to show it off, promise.

Comment

To post a photo you just need a photo hosting site like photobucket.It is free
          and you just upload a photo to photobucket then paste a link here.
          And apart is good for photos,it gives people a good look at what you are working with so you can get some accurate advice and tips.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by girlsplus View Post
            Ok, here goes...the vin is 3U9000783. The tank, seat, and carbs are off right now so it doesn't look like much, but after a good cleaning and reassembly, I will figure out how to post a pic to show it off, promise.
            Well, that VIN tells me that it's an '80 XS1100SG - also known as a Special. It's the Canadian version. Round headlight/gauges, really strong grab bar behind the seat, front wheel is mounted to the front of the forks (instead of at the bottom tip). Several other things, but that's a few basics. Might want to post future questions in the XS/XJ forum instead of the "How To" forum. More traffic there.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. All good information. Should have pics up in a couple of weeks or so, given some peace from work and women.

Comment

Working...
              X