Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a trip gauge reset knob

Hello,

My bike is a '80 Standard, and when I bought it the trip gauge knob was broken off. It appears from reading posts here that the gauges can be opened up easily. Does anyone know of a location for replacements? Does anyone have one they want to part with?

I have been considering changing to round gauges/headlight anyway, so maybe I will just go that route.

Thanks!

Tim

The '80 G Standard uses the same trip knob as the Specials and they are still available from your Yamaha dealer.

The new part number is 4SV-83578-00-00
    Brian
    XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
    Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Thank you so much! I will gladly pay the <$10 to be able to monitor my fuel...

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Beav068 View Post
        Thank you so much! I will gladly pay the <$10 to be able to monitor my fuel...

Tim
        You need a trip knob for that? The last time I set my trip was when I first got on the bike. I just keep track of it on the regular odometer. Not too hard to remember 3 numbers for a week or two as I run out a tank of fuel. Of course, I pretty much just watch for the red light to come on, then head to the gas station.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

?????

a WEEK OR TWO TO RUN OUT A TANK OF FUEL????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn man, get to riding.
          Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
          1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
          1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Well, mine doesn't have a fuel light, just a gauge that doesn't work. I have enough other numbers to remember in my life that the odometer doesn't rate high enough to stay in there above the other things. :-)

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Trainzz View Post
              a WEEK OR TWO TO RUN OUT A TANK OF FUEL????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn man, get to riding.
              Hey, my wife is pregnant, so I don't get to do much outside the house these days. Plus, I live 1.3 miles from my office. Even though I go home for work every day, and ride every chance I get, it still takes 1-2 weeks to go through a tank.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                You need a trip knob for that? The last time I set my trip was when I first got on the bike. I just keep track of it on the regular odometer. Not too hard to remember 3 numbers for a week or two as I run out a tank of fuel. Of course, I pretty much just watch for the red light to come on, then head to the gas station.
                Hi 'Bug,
                I have trouble remembering 3 numbers for 3 minutes so a working trip meter is a handy thing for me to have. And although the reserve will get you another 20 miles and the red light will remind you that you didn't switch back from reserve the last time, an early reminder to buy gas is always a good thing.
                And Tim,
                you can access the busted-off end of the trip rewind knob by taking the instrument head out of it's chrome bucket. Getting the glass off is a right swine of a job but you won't need to do that to get at the rewinder.
                REMEMBER THAT THE REWIND KNOB HAS A LEFT-HAND THREAD.
                You screw it on to screw it off.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Hey, my wife is pregnant, so I don't get to do much outside the house these days.- - -
                  Hi 'Bug,
                  this is an extreme case and I don't recommend going that far but my buddy's wife rode pillion throughout her pregnancy and finally to the maternity hospital where she gave birth to a full-term healthy daughter the next day. A week later he borrowed my sidecar rig to bring his wife and daughter home. OK, it was 45 years ago in the UK.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi 'Bug,
                    this is an extreme case and I don't recommend going that far but my buddy's wife rode pillion throughout her pregnancy and finally to the maternity hospital where she gave birth to a full-term healthy daughter the next day. A week later he borrowed my sidecar rig to bring his wife and daughter home. OK, it was 45 years ago in the UK.
                    Would be fun, but it's gonna be a while - if ever - before SWMBO even THINKS about riding pillion. I just got a back rest/luggage rack, so maybe that will help encourage the idea!
                    Last edited by CatatonicBug; 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Hey C-Bug,

FWIW, I took a ride with a fellow member about two weeks ago out to Indianapolis, about half way there, in the LONGEST stretch of I-74 between gas exits, we found his tank went bone dry!! His petcocks were in the ON position, and his fuel light never came on. Honestly, he knew his fuel light was inoperable, but never suspected the petcock towers had fallen off eliminating the reserve function! So, now he only has the tripometer/odometer to rely on for fuel stops. If we had not been traveling together he would have had about a 30 mile walk to get gas and come back.

Point being, I would hesitate to rely on the red light to tell you when to fuel up, it might pick that worst spot to decide it no longer likes you. And then you find your petcock towers fell last week without giving you notice. And you know own a REALLY heavy rather large mile marker on the side of the highway! Ohh, and liek the others, I woudl say that remembering those numbers, especially over two week period would be impossible for my old timers. BTW, what site am I on??
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        Honestly, he knew his fuel light was inoperable, but never suspected the petcock towers had fallen off eliminating the reserve function!:- - -oh, and like the others, I would say that remembering those numbers, especially over two week period would be impossible for my old timers.
                        >
                        Yeah, the towers falling off thing happened to me one time with my XS650 rig.
                        No red light on an XS650 so you gotta watch the odometer. Thought it was doing really well consumptionwise to get that far before having to switch to reserve, too. But as the filter towers had fallen off (and who knows when, or how far I'd gone on unfiltered gas?) I'd already unknowingly used my reserve. Rig coasted to a halt miles from nowhere.
                        Now us sidecar guys can carry a jerrycan of extra fuel so dump it in and off we go.
                        About remembering those 3 digits, borrow SWMBO's lipstick and write them on your gas tank?
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

So, a fellow XS-er was nice enough to send me a broken speedo to take the knob out of, but I am lost as to how to do it.

If I turn the knob clockwise to loosen it, it just spins inside. Turning it to the left rolls over the odometer.

What is the trick? Is there a way to lock the odometer mechanism to allow it to unscrew rather than just spin?

Thanks!

Tim

Comment

Well never mind. I finally got the little piece of...plastic to come out. Just had to use a long screwdriver to put just a bit of pressure on the gears to get it out.

Thank you to EVERYONE in this group. These old bike forums really rock!!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                            X