Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idle mixture tip broke off in carb body....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle mixture tip broke off in carb body....

Well thanks for all of the help with the other issues. I am stumped on this one.

Any suggestions on getting it out? Can I get to it with a wire? Its the size of a pin head and its flush with the hole.

Searches turned up siezed idle mix screws, I couldn't locate anything on the tip being stuck. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

Proud owner of an almost restored xs1100E 78'

Try using the search tool. looking for the "push pin" article. The most recent variation on this has to do with placing the bank'o'carbs in freezer for a while first, which makes it a lot easier to push out the stuck, broken-off bit of mixture screw.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

not to mention the recent thread about putting the carbs in the freezer.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Ok had this happen on a set of carbs I was rebuilding a couple of weeks ago. First, just stick the set of carbs in the deep freeze for about an hour. After that just use a 90 degree O ring pick, and a 5/8 inch wrench. Use the boxed end of the wrench as a prybar on the pick. Push with nice even pressure, don't overdo it, you don't want to wallow out the bores for the idle mixture screws. They should pop right out. As I said this trick worked great for me.

Hope this helps!

Russ
        '81 Venturer U.S. Navy Air Commemorative
        '79 Special

Comment

I tried the freezer trick a week or so ago and could not get it to dislodge the point.
          I ended up taking it to work and drilling it out with a mill.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

drilling out . . . think it'll still work?

I froze my carbs 3 times in a deep freezer, went through picks, pins, needles, and self made sliver from a 1/16 bit. All I could manage to do is frost the carbs enough to crave a icy draft.
            After going through all of this and not even moving the tip I went to a drill press and drilled it out with a 1/16 bit. I'm starting the idle mixture screw at 1/8 turn out in this one.

Thanks for all of the help and advice, I feel bad I couldn't get it done the push pin and freezer way. I should have frozen before the first push pin trick as then I had some brass to work with. Ride safe everyone!

Comment

is the pre drilled hole not tapered to match the pin a wee bit?

I have tried every single method I can find in this forum and I CANNOT get them little suckers out. Froze the carb, heated it up, used broken needle, used mechanic pic... Only thing i managed to do is flatten the brass tip out and scar up the inside of my carb body a bit.

My last resort is to drill the tip out. Is a 1/16 inch bit a match to the hole? Are there any reported ill effects of using this method?
              1979 XS1100 special

Comment

Originally posted by skyhead View Post
                - - - - My last resort is to drill the tip out. Is a 1/16 inch bit a match to the hole? Are there any reported ill effects of using this method? - - -
                Hi Sky,
                that stupidly frail needle tip was broken off in my son's XS750 (same effin' carbs). All the pressing and pushpinning and picking we tried didn't shift it either.
                So we drilled it out. Although we knew that we should have used a 1mm (0.039") drill, the smallest drill bit our drill press chuck (negatory freehand drilling! Gotta use a drill press to keep the drill square and centred) can grip is 1/16" so that's what we used. Because the hole is now a lot bigger the needle needs to be turned out somewhat less than the other two but it works.
                Last edited by fredintoon; 08-03-2009, 11:04 PM.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I drilled mine out with a twist drill, 1/16th, got it runing and have taken it down the road and seemed to do ok,but still need to do fine tuneing, someone on here said something about after drilling them out you may have to shorten the spring on the needel because the needel will go in deeper because the hole will no longer be teperred, have not got to that point yet, the xs has been put on the back burner untill I get some of the outher projects out of the way, 81 gl 1100 honda, need to get it done and sold, so I will have money to put in the xs.
                  Last edited by cowboybob998; 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM.
                  1979 xs1100 f
                  142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                  floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                  1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                  1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                  !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                  when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
                    I drilled mine out with a twist drill, 1/16th, got it runing and have taken it down the road and seemed to do ok,but still need to do fine tuneing, someone on here said something about after drilling them out you may have to shorten the spring on the needel because the needel will go in deeper because the hole will no longer be teperred, have not got to that point yet, the xs has been put on the back burner untill I get some of the outher projects out of the way, 81 gl 1100 honda, need to get it done and sold, so I will have money to put in the xs.
                    Holy cow, he said "twist drill"! Another machinist in the family?
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post

lol? sarcasm?

Anyways. I went to ace hardware and decided the 1/16 bit was just to large. I ended up doing some conversion and figured the wire gauge 60 drill bit was as close to 1mm as possible, being since they didn't have metric bits. 1mm is right between wire gauge 60 and 61 bits. So i will be right around 1.100 mm. The 60 gauge bit is about half the size of a 1/16 bit and seems much more suiting for this application.

Now let's see how many of these suckers I can break, better go ahead and order a few more bits in advance
                      1979 XS1100 special

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                        Hi Ivan,
                        make that "yet another" eh? Admittedly I got my machinist papers 50 years ago and then switched to machine design and didn't cut metal for wages until I got a part-time after retirement job but my training was with Rolls-Royce.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

here is a picture of the bit with size comparison to a standard sewing needle

1979 XS1100 special

Comment

Working...
                          X