Stripped Club - First Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Club - First Gear

So, I know theres a lot of talk and documentation of the second gear fix.
    But how about replacing the first gear? On a level of 1-****! how big of an ish is this? Below is the diagnosis.

Seller told me that the guys he got it from rode it 'hard'
    All other gears seem fine.
    1st will hold under 2k RPMs but slips out with a chunky clunking above it.
    Clutch just reassembled to manual specs.
    Clutch cable replaced.
    Clutch adjusted properly.

I feel comfortable riding it around as is (as I've learned how to work with what I have). Still the guy I'm selling this bike to might want to do something about it. What's the score here guys? Please advise.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

You can follow the recent rebuild I just did on my XS tranny over on the FJR forum. Clickie It's worth at least scrolling thru and looking at the pictures anyway That will give you an idea of the dificulty level. I had no help other than the manuals and this board to guide me.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks, I just scrolled through TopCat's repair thread for the 1st and 2nd gear fix too.
      I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
      //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

I just finished the gear repair on a members bike. With two of us, we just spent three and a half hours.

He had a spare engine with good gears, so he removed the countershaft last night from the spare and tonight we removed the gears from the runner on the centerstand, did the washer swap to second gear, put eveything back together minus the three covers/pans being reintalled. I had completed the repair on my bike over the winter, so I was already familiar with the process. Having two people definitely made it go much faster.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I have done this a couple times myself as well. Same process as the second gear. Seems to take about 3-4 hours with two people. The last time I used a cut-off wheel on a die grinder to grind the dogs and a stone on the slots. The cut-off wheel made the job alot easier.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Definitely not a super difficult thing to do, and I learned a TON about my bike in the process. I too used a die grinder for the majority of the grinding, but since I didn't have a cut-off wheel for mine, I switched to a dremel for the finishing work. You could always replace the gears too, if you had them, but its a lot cheaper to repair what's there.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Another option is new back cut gears, about $100 apiece.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
              X