Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting over

Hi Grinder3 and once again, welcome.
    Congrats on finding an XJ1100 in fair shape, it is a machine well worth owning.
    $1,300 is a fair price to pay and the resale price is as liable to go up as to go down, most likely it will stay about the same.
    XS & XJ11s have the reputation of having very good longevity so long as you keep up with regular maintenance.
    The stock XS/XJ already has way more than enough power to double most speed limits. Unless you are an absolute speed addict (the velocity, not the drug) you won't need more power.
    None the less, there are overbore kits & hot cams to be had, more than one bike has been turboed and one list member is right now completing a fuel injection conversion.
    As the XJ is a one year wonder, cycle parts can be hard to find. Engine parts are easier because most XS11 engine parts either swap straight over or can be made to work.
    The ergonomics are OK for most folks. Changing to different handlebars can be a chore because the XJ's funny cast bars mean there's no differently shaped cast bars to substitute and you have to do major surgery to install your favorite shape 7/8" tubular 'bars.
    The seat and the pegs can be modified with no more hassle than on most other bikes.
    Fuel mileage; less than 30mpg, bike could use some work. More than 40mpg is a minor miracle.
    Aesthetics, nobody wins in a "what looks good" argument. If it looks good to you, that's all that matters.
    Any technical or maintenance questions you have, have most likely already been asked and answered and the information can be dug out with the search function. Mind you, guessing the right keyword can sometimes be a daunting task. Alternatively, post a question and somebody will get back to you.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Thanks dude

I'm getting curious about all the bikes form this time period. I notice the '85 Honda's have similar specs - A few differences but at first glance they look like they compete pretty closely.

Comment

It seems that in 78-79 these were definitely the bikes to have. By 82 I am not sure. They had started making a few changes due to EPA regs. Not sure how the Honda's matched up during that year. I would think everyone here would say these bikes are better than the Hondas (but we may be a little biased ).
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

The earlier model Hondas, '83 to '86, in the 1100cc equivalent, made more HP and torque,(105bhp/69ft/lbs torque) was nearly a 1/2 second quicker in the 1/4 mile, was considerably narrower, (motor was only 16" wide in it's V-4 configuration) was lighter, offered a 6 speed transmission, and was liquid cooled. Unfortunately.. they look a LOT like the XJ.

Good bikes.. you should check into them.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

One thing you may also want to try and find out about is how many of them were sold, and are still registered in your State. Some States DO keep track of odometer readings, so you may be able to see just how far they are ridden BEFORE they die. I have 4 XS1100's, two I ride all the time, one with about 103K miles that needs some transmission work, and one I got as a project.
          I DID have a V45 Honda, and after some time riding, I noticed the sounds from the engine. The early V4 Honda engine WILL eat cams and cranks, so keep that in mind while looking!
          You may be able to find an XS if you keep looking, and that will be somewhat easier to modify the looks and position of the seat to fit you. We all modify our bikes some, as that is the nature of a motorcycle. Good luck on the search, and I hope to see you posting questions about repairs on YOUR bike here soon.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I researched the Honda V-4's extensively before settling on my XJ1100. The only thing that stopped me from buying the Honda was the infamous; well documented top-end oil pressure issue...not a chance I wanted to take.

I'm so happy with my XJ and feel I made a wise choice; durability alone.

Just my two-cents

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X