Oil Sight Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Sight Glass

I have gone through and searched on this topic and just wanted to add my 2 bobs worth, my sight glass you couldnt see oil through it, it was a milky coffe colour, It would nearly suggest baked on indicating that at some stage, the bike has been too hot.
    I took the side cover off and used a cotton bud with some carby cleaner as was suggested, still no good, I then got a small screwdriver/scraper and it started scratching the brown muck off, It was like plaque on teeth, I then got some steel wool and with a screwdriver moved it around within the glass, I then finished it with this cotton wool type polisher in a yellow can with obviously some chemical in the wool I think it's made or called Masserati.

End result, I can see through it clearly now, and not a cent spent.

My last alterative would have been a pickster, a small wire brush used for cleaning teeth, as it is small enough to fit through the small holes, and being on a small piece of wire, you could bent it and scratch away.

Hope this help someone else with the same issue.

Cheers

Lou 81 1.1

Nice! Love it when the mind overcomes the challenges on these old beast! Knowing where your oil level is at can be VERY handy!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Or I can ship one have several in the old parts pile... andreas

Comment

Dipstick anyone?

Originally posted by andreashweiss View Post
        Or I can ship one have several in the old parts pile... andreas
        Hi Andreas,
        that's good to know but don'tcha have to remove the casting to replace the window just as you would to make like a mad dentist to clean the old one?
        Too much work.
        Thing is, what with the sidecar being in the way I can't see my window anyway.
        After I wearied of carrying a telescoping mirror to check the oil level I made a dipstick.
        A permanent dipstick would get ground away by the clutch so I made a portable one. Bend a 1/2" wide strip of 22ga. stainless steel into a T-shape.
        Do an oil change dumping in the amount of oil the book says to get the correct level.
        Drop in the T-shape so it's head rests on the filler hole.
        Pull it out and make a chisel mark where the oil level is.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The site glasses are still available from Yamaha. I put a new one in mine and I don't remember it being more than $20. Just another option.
          '84 Sport

Comment

Fred, I am taking bikes apart, they never go back together,just saving the decent parts from these neglected junkers, Iwould sell a oil glass thing for $2.00 beat that Yamaha dealer.thanx andreas

Comment

Working...
            X