1979 turnsignal switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 turnsignal switch replacement

I need to replace my turnsignal/horn switch on my 1979 xs standard. I found one at a local salvage yard off a 1980 which has a additional "flasher" switch my question is will this work with any modifacation beings it is a electrical device there are no returns so want to know before I buy it. Thanks.
    rodney-1979 xs 1100 standard

With a wiring diagram, you should be able to get it to work with no problem. It might not be plug 'n play, but it'll work. Is your'e old switch broken? If it's just not working, it can be taken apart and cleaned/repaired. Solder connections tend to break inside those.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Unless its out right corroded or the plastic is destroyed, you could try cleaning up the one you have. What usually goes wrong is that the solder breaks clean so it looks like its still solid but no connection is being made.

Darrell
      Darrell
      78E
      80G project
      06FJR

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
        Unless its out right corroded or the plastic is destroyed, you could try cleaning up the one you have. What usually goes wrong is that the solder breaks clean so it looks like its still solid but no connection is being made.
        Agreed... I had exactly this happen to me. The emergency flasher stopped working soon after I got my bike, and all I had to do was take the switch completely apart, clean all the contacts, and re-solder 3 of the wires that had broken loose - while cleaning the contacts! After a nice coating of dielectric grease, it all works great again!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by wonbyone View Post
          I need to replace my turnsignal/horn switch on my 1979 xs standard. I found one at a local salvage yard off a 1980 which has a additional "flasher" switch my question is will this work with any modification beings it is a electrical device there are no returns so want to know before I buy it. Thanks.
          Hi Rodney,
          if your switch can't be cleaned up and made to work again, yes the 1980 switch will work but you will have to sort out which wire goes where.
          As the 1980 switch comes with a 4-way switch you could also get a cheap automotive flasher and hook up the signals to run as 4-way emergency flashers but that needs lotsa extra wiring work.
          Another alternative is to buy a new exact replacement switch from MikesXS
          http://www.mikesxs.net/products-51.html#products
          Item 1T3-38973-00
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

switch update

I already tried taking it apart and cleaning which didnt help and also found the solder connections look good. I looked at the mikexs site but it appears to be for 650's I have a 1979 xs1100. I tried ordering from local yamaha dealer but it has been discontinued. I may also add that my horn doesnt work either. Thanks for any and all ideas.
            rodney-1979 xs 1100 standard

Comment

The 650 switch will work on the 11, but you'll have to re-locate some of the wires in the connectors. Many have done this very easily. Or go for the used 80-81 switch, you'll have to re-locate wires in the connectors anyway. The 78-79 Standard and the 79 Special switches should be plug 'n play, IIRC.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 07-01-2009, 06:41 AM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by wonbyone View Post
                I already tried taking it apart and cleaning which didnt help and also found the solder connections look good. I looked at the mikexs site but it appears to be for 650's I have a 1979 xs1100. I tried ordering from local yamaha dealer but it has been discontinued. I may also add that my horn doesnt work either. Thanks for any and all ideas.
                Rodney,
                What Fred was trying to say is that the MikesXS site may state that they handle factory xs650 parts, but what he failed to mention is that a very big majority of the xs650 parts are interchangable with the xs1100.
                Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
                '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
                '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
                '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
                New steering head races and bearings
                '78/'79 standard wire harness
                Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
                T.C.'s fuse block
                PNM Coils
                7mm Dyna Wires
                NGK Resistor Caps
                Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC