Thinking of buying an XJ1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying an XJ1100

Brand new to the site. I currently have an 82 Honda Nighthawk 450. Looking to upgrade, I went to look at a 82 Honda Magna 750 for sale...it turned out to be not so nice. While there, the guy showed me an 82 XJ1100 which was in immaculate shape. Black w/ 14,000 miles. The only thing I saw wrong was the carb rubber boots were dry rotted (he said they are real thick and the dry rot is just cosmetic). The battery light was on the whole time I was riding....I saw a post on this site where you can cheat that...it was a fun ride, though! My question is....what is the value of this bike? Are they reliable and is it a good investment? He wants $2200 firm. I looked at the various sites to estimate value (KBB and NADA) and they have the 82 Yamaha XJ1100 valued even lower than the piece of junk Honda Magna I looked at. Retail for an "excellent" condition 82 Yamaha XJ1100 is $1385. Just looking for some opinions from the experts. Thanx

What is a house worth, what is a car worth? Very subjective question really. Especially for stuff this vintage. Having said that, you say it is in immaculate condition and it runs great. Not sure about the battery light, but you might spend time chasing some electrical gremlins worst case.

So, what is an almost 30 year old bike, that has tons of power, handles decently, and can be about bulletproof from the drive train aspect worth to you? What do similar looking bikes of about the same vintage and the same condition go for in your area of the world? The same beast is worth alot different money in podunk Iowa than in NYC or Cincinnati Ohio.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hi

Yeah, I know the pricing is very subjective....and compared to the junky Magna for $900....$2200 seems reasonable. It just seems that comparitively speaking, the Yamahas are not as high-valued as the Hondas in the same class and era. I've only owned the Honda 450, so this is a big step for me. Historically speaking...is the 82 XJ1100 a reliable bike?

Comment

Welcome,
        I just sold an '80 XS1100 special for $2000.It has a little over 4000 miles on it.It was not perfect but in very good condition.It had nothing wrong with it.
        I recently bought a fairly nice '78 XS1100 standard with carb and charging problems for $400.
        There was a mint Xs1100 that sold on ebay this week for around $3300.
        And there is another really nice one on there now.It is over $2000 last time I looked and still had a couple days till auction end.
        I personally have had three XS1100 and havent paid more than $400 for one.
        But they all needed tires, seals ,carb rebuilds, and various other things.
        One thing about a bike that needs carb boots is that they cost about $90 for a set.However,the PO is right,the carb boots are thick and although they aften look cracked through from the outside,they are usually in very good shape on the inside.In fact I think they have a outer layer and inner layer of rubber.
        My point is that it is worth what someone will pay.
        So if it were me ,I would look real close and if it has good tires runs great,shifts great and everything seems to function and look right,then it might be worth $2000.
        But always lowball and go from there.HTH
        Rick
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

$2200 doesn't sound too bad for an immaculate bike. I only paid $200 for mine but it was far from immaculate and I got real lucky. The battery light could very well be caused by the installation of a new AGM battery. They have no place to put the sensor. To test the carb boots, start the bike and spray some wd-40 around the boots. If you notice a difference in the rpm's, then the boots are leaking. If not, then they are fine.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Where are you located? Prices also vary by geographical area. I am trying to sell both of my XJs. A 750 and an 1100. In looking around, trying to come up with a fair asking price, that is what I have come to believe. For what it's worth.
            1982 xj 1100 pod filters
            4 into 1 Supertrapp

Comment

Right now is a good time to be selling bikes.. not buying... so the price may be relevant to that. If you can afford to give that for it though, the XJ has basically the same engine as the XS1100. The bikes built around this time were usually wore out by 50k miles. Several people on here report over 200K miles and more on their motors if taken care of. They do tend to have a weak spot in the transmission for 1st/2nd gear, but is fairly inexpensive to fix permanently.. but it will probably take a weekend to do the first time. If you are around anyone else, most on here will come help for food and beer.

If you have hesitancy to pay that price, do keep in mind that you will have a bike that will last probably longer than if you bought a new one, you won't find another type of bike that will last as long for that price. It would be possible to find another XS1100 or another XJ1100, but no telling where and probably not in as good of shape.

There are some steals here and there for these bikes if you're patient.. and can even wait until winter, but up to @ $2500 for a solid ready to ride one is what I've been seeing lately.

What really matters.. is if YOU think it's worth it. You'll have a classic bike that won't look like everyone else's. I can't tell you how many stories we hear of people walking by the 20-30 thousand dollar bikes to come look at ours. Plus.. yours will still outperform 90% of them out there.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hi, DC...

Listen to these guys, DC. Tod's right, and he owns an XJ. So do I.

There were some cool upgrades on the XJ that are not on the XS's.

Especially in the area of the pilot box. Lots of extra warning lights. Stronger charging systems. Bigger gas tank for extra range. Kill switch on the sidestand, (for those of us who tend to take off and forget occaisionally....), etc.

FWIW, I gave $1800 for mine in Jan. this year, and it needed an engine base gasket replaced that was leaking oil, and the famous gear fix. Tod, and a few others came to my rescue and got it fixed. The learning curve since I purchased mine, (plus all the fun,) has been well worth it. I've probably put an additional $400 in it since I bought it. For me, it's not so much about $ vs. value, (and will I get it back if I decide to sell it?) If I were to decide to sell mine right now, (which ain't happening!) even if I lost $ on the sale... I would still be far ahead in what I've learned along the way, the friends I've made, the rides I've taken, and the experience of it all. Fun, friends, freedom.
                How does one put a price tag on that??
                Best of luck to ya, whatever you decide. Ride Safe!
                Bob
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanx to all for the advice and info. I'm in Colorado Springs. I've been reading a lot on the 2nd gear problem w/ these bikes...is it hit or miss whether your bike will have this problem? Or is it a matter of time before it needs a repair?

Comment

IMHO it would depend on how the bike has been cared for and how it was driven. My guess is that with its current miles it has been pampered and you really wouldnt have to worry about it any time soon (given theres no noticable problem as is). Even if you ride it like its stolen for the next 15-20K miles you probably wont have a problem unless your shifting improper... Just my thought on the subject.

My XS11 has 34K mi and shifts fine. I think the PO's took good care of it but after jumping on my Dad's that has 14K his unbelievably "tight". All I could hear with that stock exaust was the whistle from the carbs asking for more gas! After riding his bike I felt EXACTLY like that guy in the '79 XS1100 youtube clip! If you havent watched it, I advise you do. Love the music too!
                    Last edited by WMarshy; 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM.
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Dc...

There's a fellow XS owner / member and great friend of mine who lives up there by you in Castle Rock... XSMiles. You might look him up sometime. He's always ready to go riddin'. He's got a pretty nice Special.
                      He's also the guy I bought my XJ from.
                      He also knows where there's a good bike salvage up there, too.
                      See ya.
                      Bob
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Hi DC and welcome,
                        go for it! $2,200 won't buy you a new 125cc motor scooter these days.
                        Most guys who say $2,200 firm will settle for $1,800 in cash so long as you are polite about making the offer.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My XJ is for sale. Needs some work, like right front caliper rebuilt, steering head bearings should be replaced, other odds and ends. Has the full Vetter fairing and luggage, even have the trunk. Diamond custom seat. Comes with a few spare parts. Has the Jardine Spagetti pipe exhaust. Will even deliver for gas money. $1,200.00. I rode it to work last week, is currently titled and insured. Elite 3 rear tire and battery new last year. Uses some oil, think valve seals need replaced. Does skip in 2nd if I hammer it in 2nd really hard, is why I have spare transmission parts...
                          Also have a spare differenetial and an XS750 final drive and drive shaft, was going to do the lower RPM mod, did not get around to it. PM me if interested.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hi Jerry,
                            Sounds like a great deal on your XJ. I'm going to look over an XJ750 tomorrow night for a friend.
                            I just noticed you are from DeBeque, CO. I've been hunting there a couple of different times. What a great part of the country!
                            Good luck to you with your sale.
                            Bothell, WA
                            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I have a 82 xj1100 that and the battery light may be a simply fix mine was. First the battery is suppost to have a wire to the check engine system that is on the battery my battery did not have it so the light stayed on. I fix it using a technique off the forum took about 15 min. If you find that this is case I will send the resistor you need I had to buy a pack of them and only needed one. The second gear problem I am havign taken care of this weeked there is a fix on the forum for that also if you have mechanical ability. I love my bike and do not think you could go wrong with one.
                              Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
                              82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
                              Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

Working...
                              X