Help! New (to me) Bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! New (to me) Bike.

I have just bought my first road bike, 1982 XJ 1100 Maxim.
    I love the bike but need to fix a few things.

Bike has accel coils & wires, crash bars & "harley style" seat & rear fender.

Having trouble getting the bike to idle, need to clean carbs & low speed jets. Feels like gears "clunk" pretty bad when shifting, also feels like drive shaft may need to tighten up a bit.

I have downloaded a manual for the XS1100 but have not been able to find a download for the XJ1100. How similar are these 2 bikes, are engines & transmissions the same. Is the XJ just an XS that is dressed differently.

I just bought an oil filter for $11.92, is that normal is is there somewhere less expensive to get parts? Would like to get new brake pads too.

Thats all I can think of now, but I am sure I will have more later. I am just glad I found this site, I have already learned a good bit of information from this forum.

Will post pics when I have a little more time.
    HOJO
    1982 XJ1100

Welcome
    Yea, the XS and XJ are similar.There are differences though.
    Drive trains are basically the same.
    XS doesnt have the yics system.
    I think the XJ has a little different timing advance system.
    Different cosmetics.
    The oil filters I get online.I just got one from georgefix for like $6 or $7.
    The transmissions are a little clunky as normal.Most people compare the transmissions to a russian tractor.
    The carbs are often one of the first things that needs a thorough cleaning when people aquire them.
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Welcome aboard brother. Look for any post by Catatonic Bug and you find a link in his signature to his website with both XS and XJ manuals. As this is your first road bike I would be extremely careful until you get used to the weight, handling and power. They're like having a ballistic missile with a skud guidance system between your legs. Lot's of fun but not for the faint hearted.
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Some XJ MOJO for HOJO.

Hey HOJO,

The majority of the engine mechanics are the same as the XS, but as mentioned, the XJ has the YICS and needs special tools to properly vacuum synch the carbs....see the YICS Eliminator in the Parts for Sale Forum, STICKY thread second page for details for a permanent solution, or the tech tips, maintanence, carbs, Norm Yokes YICS Tool..homemade version!!

DO NOT SOAK your carb bodies in cleaner, will damage butterfly shaft seals, big problem! You can soak the bodies keeping the cleaner from reaching the shaft seals by dangling them in the bucket. IF the PO put in Accel coils, then perhaps they have been into the carbs..there is a pilot SCREW under a brass cap on the top front of the carb body...but if the cap is gone, will be easier to work on, otherwise, need to remove brass cap to gain access to the pilot screw for adjustments as well as cleaning, ensuring the pilot circuit is truly clean.

Search for threads about differences between XJ11 and XS11, several have been posted before, lots of info here, just need to look around. Welcome, and yes, be careful or the bike will bite you!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X