petcock n tank questions,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock n tank questions,

Any one know where I can find new petcocks for 80 xs 1100? Also looking for a different fuel tank ... can this tank be changed to a different style? We had a custom paint job on the tank. They left the dent and clips that hold the emblems on. IDIOTS. So now we need to either fill in the dent and get rid of the clips or add a stainless steel piece designed to our liking. Just so you know we cannot put the emblems back on because they are too big for the paint job. We also have the holes on the sidecovers ... any ideas friends???

Petcocks

Is your bike a standard or a special?
    78 XS1100E Standard
    Coca Cola Red
    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by yamman View Post
      Any one know where I can find new petcocks for 80 xs 1100? Also looking for a different fuel tank ... can this tank be changed to a different style? We had a custom paint job on the tank. They left the dent and clips that hold the emblems on. IDIOTS. So now we need to either fill in the dent and get rid of the clips or add a stainless steel piece designed to our liking. Just so you know we cannot put the emblems back on because they are too big for the paint job. We also have the holes on the sidecovers ... any ideas friends???
      Hi Yamman,
      if you don't care about keeping your Midnight Special bone stock you can put a Standard tank on it and carry an extra gallon of gas.
      That'll fix the gas tap problem too because the Standard taps have to be used with a Standard tank.
      There are some minor fit-up changes but nothing too difficult.
      BUT, do you want to keep the tank because of the doubtless expensive custom paint job or will you eat the cost, fill the badge pockets and start over or do you want a different tank anyway?
      You could fill the side panel badge screw holes with M3 stainless button-head fasteners.
      In defence of your custom paint IDIOTS unless you specifically TOLD them to fill in the tank badge pockets and had it written on the order sheet, no they wouldn't have. But if you did and can prove it, they owe you a paint job.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Got any pictures?

You can still get new Yamaha golf cart badges (about the same size as special badges). Cut the heads off some small screws and glue them into the badges, and use automotive double sided tape to attach the badges to the tank. I don't know what else you could use to cover the pockets as the badges just barely cover them. Just throwing another option out there.

Partsnmore sells replacement petcocks but they're manual so you have to remember to turn them on and off. I've got 'em on Betsy and I like them a lot. Requires some really minor modification to the tank as the towers are slightly wider than the stockers.
        Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-27-2009, 04:24 PM.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have petcocks for the special tank and petcocks that will fit the standard as well. I'm not sure what bike the petcocks that fit the standard are I just went to the salvage and found some that would work....I think they are off an xj. They will need to be cleaned and new seals put in them probably but I have them none the less. I just paid 25 a piece for them. I'm looking for a standard tank if anyone has one.
          1980 XS1100G
          Tulsa, OK

Comment

Special petcocks won't fit a standard tank. The bolt holes are farther apart on the standard.
            I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
            X