Synthetic lubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic lubes

Anybody had experience with using Synthetics in the gearboxes, and the oil? Just wondering, because i am going to change all my fluids, and was thinking about using Synthetics.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

It's ok to use synthetic in the mid drive and the final, but not so for engine oil, the clutch may slip.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

A friend that works at a Yamaha dealer sugested I run full synthetic in the FJR, and it has a wet clutch. As long as it's a motorcycle specific synthetic I don't see why it wouldn't work since most, if not all, the Yamaha's are wet clutch.
      Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
      '07 FJR1300

Comment

I changed mine out a couple years ago using Royal Purple 75-140w in both middle and final drive. Notice thar final drive housing is not near as warm as previously and the notorious wine of both these cases is all but gone.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I think synthetic is ok in these bikes, IF your clutch is in good shape.

After 30ish years, I think most our clutches are just not as robust as they used to be, so this may run us into trouble.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I would also suspect that newer bikes have different material and are designed with synthetics in mind. That said, once I get my replacement engine in place and am sure everything is seated in, I'll probably give a synthetic a try and see what it does. Maybe it will work, and maybe not, but if the clutch slips I'll just switch back to dino oil.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Am running a synthetic in the final drive, have not switched yet in the middle drive but will soon. Not going to start another oil thread about engine oil...
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well it's obvious you're a new guy or you wouldn't have opened this can of worms. I replaced my clutch plates 5000 miles ago and I use 15-50 Mobil 1.The clutch does not slip and synthetic oil can withstand greater heat than conventional oil.According to all the German Porsche people.But if you don't have a semi new clutch use caution.Terry P.S. I was just ribbing you about the new guy thing.Please feel free to ask any questions you like.
                1980 special (Phyllis)
                1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Amsoil

Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle synthetic oil in the engine and I've ordered Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 for the drives . My clutch slips less than it did with dino .
                  XJ1100K
                  Avon rubber
                  MikesXS black coils
                  Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                  MikesXS front master
                  Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                  Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                  Progressive fork springs
                  CIBIE headlight reflector
                  YICS Eliminator

Comment

"synthetic oil can withstand greater heat than conventional oil"

Yes, it can, but so what? I don't really need to run my bike while it's on fire.

Anything else nature can dish out has been tried and tested over the last hundred years. These bikes were designed to run in any environment on the planet, on conventional oil.

The only advantage to synthetic is it doesn't need to be changed as often, yet most people still change it as though it were dino oil

'05 ST1300

Comment

If and that's a big if, your clutch plates have been replaced with new and your springs are new you can run the synthetic oils with no problems. Old barley hanging in there parts and you run the risk of big time slippage. Had an 82 650 last week that the owner had used synthetic oil on the last change. The clutch slippage had gotten progressively worse after the change. It was so bad after about 2 weeks it felt like a Harley when going up the road. Slipped in every gear. Changed out the oil with the Valoline 20W50 motorcycle oil and had to readjust the clutch. Had to run the bike for about 40 miles after the change and adjustment before the slippage went away. Why take the chance on the synthetic. You need to change the oil anyway to get the dirt out so use the old stuff. Its cheaper. Don't care what brand you chose just make sure it dose not have the friction modifiers in it
                      wingnut
                      81 SH (Daily Ride)
                      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't really need to run my bike while it's on fire.
                        That's how I blow the flames out from leaky carbs..

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

With my lowers, that just creats a blow torch in the area of my legs!

My clutch started slipping after I rebuilt the top end. Apparently, I'm making a little more power now!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                          X