Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ufo help!

Pulled the clutch and this fell out!

I think in was behind the clutch basket, but I can't find it's home.
    Anyone have any clues?
    It's steel, about 6MM (.250) in diameter and maybe 4MM thick.
    One end is unworn, the other shows some wear marks.
    The OD is shiney.

If it was loose in theree, it could have caused some major FUBAR.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

I can post a pic tomorrow, but it looks like one of the little button lookin' things that sits on the back side of your clutch basket that "Pressure plate 2" (according to the parts fiche) goes against.

If you take your clutch basket off, tip it face down and lift the housing straight up.. leaving all the friction and steel plates, you'll see them on the back side of that and betting one's gone. Never heard of one coming out though??

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oh... and if it's still sitting right there.. I doubt anything else is messed up.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

I'm surprised something that small didn't fall down into the oil pan! Must have just fallen out of the clutch plate as you pulled it off.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Maybe part #23 in here:

Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            I can post a pic tomorrow, but it looks like one of the little button lookin' things that sits on the back side of your clutch basket that "Pressure plate 2" (according to the parts fiche) goes against.

If you take your clutch basket off, tip it face down and lift the housing straight up.. leaving all the friction and steel plates, you'll see them on the back side of that and betting one's gone. Never heard of one coming out though??

Tod
            Dammit, I never saw those.
            If you have a picture I would appreciate it. I can't tell from the fiche, and I wrapped it up for the night.
            I pulled the clutch out in one piece, the basket, plates, everything.
            That's when I heard it fall out. In fact, I only had it about 1 inch out from fully seated. Sounds like what you are talking about would come from inside the clutch pack?

One other question:
            The star plate has protrusions on the outside edges of the bolt holes that face the springs.
            Are the springs supposed to seat inside those? Seems like the spring diameter is too large for that, but I am not a clutch expert, yet.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
              The star plate has protrusions on the outside edges of the bolt holes that face the springs.
              Are the springs supposed to seat inside those? Seems like the spring diameter is too large for that, but I am not a clutch expert, yet.
              Yes. The springs seat on those little edges. As long as the bolts are in there, the springs should find their way onto those tabs by themselves though.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

The entire star plate destruction issue surrounds that lip your talking about and lining up with the springs as I understand it. That is why you need to tighten it all in slowly and evenly so one spring does not slide off and get "extra" pressure from that lip cracking the plate.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

What happens with the star plate is that it's a machined fit, and if you tighten one side too much, it cocks the body sideways causing it to stick. Then as you go to tighten it more, it puts too much pressure on the little arm of the star plate.

OK.. I'm an idiot. What I thought were little buttons in the clutch plate are actually rivets that go all the way through and hold on that gear on the back side.

Maybe Ken is right, but I can't think of what it is right off the top of my head. The only other thing it looks like to me is one of the rollers on the starter clutch... but that would take a MAJOR malfunction in the motor to get out of there.. and don't see any way to get it to where it was.

Sorry..

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                    What happens with the star plate is that it's a machined fit, and if you tighten one side too much, it cocks the body sideways causing it to stick. Then as you go to tighten it more, it puts too much pressure on the little arm of the star plate.

OK.. I'm an idiot. What I thought were little buttons in the clutch plate are actually rivets that go all the way through and hold on that gear on the back side.

Maybe Ken is right, but I can't think of what it is right off the top of my head. The only other thing it looks like to me is one of the rollers on the starter clutch... but that would take a MAJOR malfunction in the motor to get out of there.. and don't see any way to get it to where it was.

Sorry..

Tod
                    You are hardly an idiot. Thanks for the input.

I am beginning to think that it is a random oddity.

The actuator works fine, so I don't think it's the dowel from that. No way for it to squirt out that I can see.

If I was more adventurous, I would pull the oilpan and see what else is in there. But, it was all working fine excepting some clutch slip over 5000 RPM.
                    If nothing comes up I am going to screw it all back together and see if the motor gods are happy today.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

"The OD is shiney"
                      Could it be part of a roller bearing? Are there any in that neighborhood?

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        Could it be part of a roller bearing? Are there any in that neighborhood?
                        All I see are ball bearings.
                        I thought about that. It does look like some class of roller, although the ratio of diameter to length is weird for a roller. And usually they bear on both ends.

At first I thought it was a magentic tip off a drain plug or something, but it doesn't stick to steel.
                        XS1100SF
                        XS1100F

Comment

To me it looks like the magnet end of one of those telescoping retrieval magnets. I had one of those pop out on me this morning, in my front fork tube.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The picture is a little fuzzy, but it almost looks like one of these?

The rollers inside the starter clutch assembly, but I don't know how one would get loose, much less get inside the clutch section?? And I don't know the dimensions of these starter clutch rollers?

My vote is with Ken in the dowels in the throwout mechanism, but if you've inspected it and they are all there/intact, then you're probably safe in putting it back together.
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Unsolved Mystery

Well,
                              I put it all back in, new frictions, new springs, and took it out for testing.
                              The clutch worked great, no creep, no slip. I puttered around for a while and got it all warmed up.

I hammered it hard a couple of times, a redline shift or two , and did a rather hard launch. No runs, no drips, no grenades.

Oh BTW, you can make a ton in third with the 750FD.

I have no idea where that thing came from, or how long it's been in there. I believe it was the original clutch, at 32K miles.

Just weird.
                              XS1100SF
                              XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                              X