petcock rebuild quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock rebuild quest

o.k. so i know that my petcocks in the off position no longer stop the flow of fuel. so that being said, before i order those grossly overpriced rebuild kit from george fix. ,...have any of you tried them and do they really work???
    any info appreciated
    thanks in advance
    redbone
    1980 mns 1100
    testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

The kits for the Special petcocks are fine, I think it's just the Standard ones that are a bit inferior.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You will need the kit from the Special, as it comes with the diaphragm for the Octy. Not sure what "overpriced" is, but this one is $28 for both petcocks and the octy diaphragm. That seems reasonable to me. This is the kit I used on my MNS. Some people have mentioned some need for caution when replacing the octy diaphragm, but I had no issues with this kit on mine.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

throw octo object over left shouder, get manual taps (on, off, reserve) from Partsnmore.com, no more problems with diaphragms or over designed systems (octo object). have done this on two XS11's, works fine.

Comment

I actually LIKE the Octy. It's in no way "over designed" IMO. It adds the insurance of a vacuum-operated sealing system to cut the fuel flow when the engine is off. I never have to worry about turning off my petcocks.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            I actually LIKE the Octy. It's in no way "over designed" IMO. It adds the insurance of a vacuum-operated sealing system to cut the fuel flow when the engine is off. I never have to worry about turning off my petcocks.
            Hi 'Bug,
            a system that uses 9 hoses instead of 4 HAS to be over-designed and if you rode a modern scooter you wouldn't have to worry about shifting gears either.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              if you rode a modern scooter you wouldn't have to worry about shifting gears either.
              You mean, you wouldn't GET to shift gears... Automatic transmissions don't belong on motorcycles, IMO. That's like putting an automatic on a ferrari - definitely should not be done.

I just helped a neighbor take the single carb out of his little scooter last weekend, and the spaghetti of hoses and wires on that thing made me dizzy. The few hoses on the XS octy are super simple after working on that thing!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Yo, Bug

Me being a life member of the "Less is Better" club, I find anything that does not follow the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) principle to be over designed. that means the octo object lands smack dab in the o/d basket. Fred, I ran both my XS11's with pods and free flowing 4/1's, jetted both accordingly and only ran 1 fuel line from each tap with inline filter. No problems. Good set of needles and seats is fair insurance against flooding, possibly though you would only forget to turn the taps off once.

Comment

You know, is it really insurance??? No, not really, it does not prevent you from having or even getting leaky seats. It may prevent you from finding out until they are REALLY bad though. Due to the fact you won't see the effect until it is running out of the airbox while the bike is running or the thing starts running like total junk form being way rich.

It does keep you from having fuel leaking all over the ground while you are not around if you have a memory issue about turning off your fuel petcocks. IMHO, with or without the Octy, you should be turning the petcocks off. THAT is cheap insurance against leaks (and gives some SOB trying to take my bike one more thing he has to know to get it started). JMHO
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

carefully read the last line again. fair insurance, forget once.

Comment

Sorry Cueball, I followed your post but was more addressing C-bugs thought of the Octy being insurance, and not needing to turn off the petcocks.

Reality this is one more subject that gets debated here once a month need it or not, and boils down to opinion really. And if you have bad float valves and seats, replace/clean the bloody things and forget the Octy or petcocks being the substitute.

For the record, mine is sitting on my workbench and will probably stay there until some sad day when I find myself required to part ways with the ride, when I might put it back only because it is the only non-stock part to date. Ok, that and the ugly K/Q seat.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

I'm cool with that DGSXER, no problem from my end, quite likely done the same thing once or ten times myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X