Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel removal ?

Hi All

While waiting for my documents to arrive before I can ride my new XS legally, I've been reading through the owners manual.

That's when I noticed the page about removing the rear wheel - I double checked with the Haynes manual and it's the same - Apparently I need a 'steel wire with hooks' on it to hold up the swinging arm to remove the wheel ?

Of course, my bike is old and there's no original toolkit with it - is the contraption that necessary ? or is there another way ?

(I don't need to remove the wheel, but of course, I will at some point !)

I took a look around the Tech Tips, but couldn't spot anything.

Cheers
    Chris
    XS1100 Powered Trike - 1980 engine ?
    (http://www.catdna.co.uk/album/slides/IMG_2984.JPG)

XS1100 F - with an SG engine

No you don't 'need' the gadget, it's just one of those things to make likfe simpler.

The gadget is designed to hold the swingarm up so that you can get the axle out. I am sure you can find another way to do this, most of us have at one time or another.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This thing

Is used like this

Brian
      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

I bought a piece of 1/16" cable and two crimp thingys and made one. Made a loop on each end and crimped on the thingy. Works good but since I lowered mine don't need it at all. Like they said, you can get by just fine with out it.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

This is a standard specific tool or issue I presuem due to the exhaust extending past the axle. I have never had to do anything like this on my special.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Aha !

Thanks guys

However, I've just been for a look on my bike and the 'hooks' under the rear guard appear to be broken.... any ideas what I could use instead ? (that grab bar on the seat looks like it might be ok ?)

Failing that, I guess I could just remove the rear part of the exhaust (got a 4:1 on mine - no idea what make, but the rear silencer just appears to be clamped on)

Cheers
            Chris
            XS1100 Powered Trike - 1980 engine ?
            (http://www.catdna.co.uk/album/slides/IMG_2984.JPG)

XS1100 F - with an SG engine

Comment

Yep, with a 4-1 exhaust, that would be the way to go, removing the can. If for some reason it's stuck, the shocks can be removed to gain access for removing the axle.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

There should be a hook on the swing arm (right side) and you can use the upper shock nut. Course the original cable will be to short to work on the shock nut, but if you make a cable it will.
                79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

'nother view of the wire tool in action
                  Brian
                  XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                  Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Working...
                  X