Front Master Cylinder Restoration help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I fixed it.............

I took Ken Talbot's advise from above post, and clipped a strand off of a wire brush. One really needs a pair of needle-nose pliers that are in A-1 condition, so the ends of the pliers do a perfect job of holding the wire, without the wire slipping or turning in the pliers' end tips. First time I was trying this, and not having any luck, the pliers were not real good needle nose, and the shiny, neat looking guitar wires were hard to keep at the firm hold one would want to have. One needs to rotate the reservoir about 1/4 turn so that a lip at the bottom of the reservoir won't be in the way, to go at the spooge hole at ideal angle. That's a straight-on-90-degree hit to get the wire to find its way into that teeny tiny orifice. At first when going at it with the wire brush strand, it didn't act like it wanted to go; then when it did, ever so little~~one could see the brake fluid ooze from the hole. Also, a suggestion to have success, hold the wire where you've got no more than about 1/3 of an inch between where the wire is being held by the pliers, and the end of the wire~~you want all the rigidity you can manage to get through the crud, and avoid having the wire flex.

A couple years ago, I had saved, stored address of this thread and several others pertaining to this spooge hole fix; at that time I was advising a fellow XSer, by email, how to do this, and sent him the links. Also, at that time, I had already done this fix a few times in last 10 years; once to the front M/C, and once to the rear M/C, but one tends to forget how tedious and mysterious this fix can be, when 4-5-6 years in between fixes. Big help to have been able to go direct to my own file addresses to quick access this info.
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

not to hijack this post, but my problem is finding that circlip under rubber boot...I didn't want to destroy it and I'm trying to reuse it, as money is tight...
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Working...
      X