Seafoam presentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
    Cleans carbs?ok.Cleans sludge?maybe.Removes carbon?I doubt it.Improves mileage and performance?Please.How can this happen?Does it increase the btu and octane of the fuel?When someone makes all these claims I feel like they're trying to sell me snake oil.
    When the carbs are clean, mileage and performance are directly affected. Sludge slows things down and creates drag, reducing mileage and performance as well. Doesn't take snake oil to make claims like that.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Lots of products make similar claims, the point you are missing is that many of us use this stuff and have had very good results.

If your engine is running properly it won't have a lot of carbon in it, part of the clean carbs legacy.

Sludge is an overplayed thing for lots of products. Sludge, for the most part collects in all the little nooks and crannies, where nothing happens anyway. I doubt very much you can find any tests, anywhere, that says sludge has any affect at all on engine performance, unless you let it build up for too long then jostle it loose with a cleaning product!
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

It does improve milage because you just went from 2 gallons in the tank to two and a half gallons. So when you run through that, you got 2.5 gallons worth of miles from 2 gallons of petrol purchased (you have to forget about the cost of the Seafoam)
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          When the carbs are clean, mileage and performance are directly affected. Sludge slows things down and creates drag, reducing mileage and performance as well. Doesn't take snake oil to make claims like that.
          Ok bug if you say it works I believe you and I'll bite and give it a try.But does it really remove carbon? Thanks Terry
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I think any time you get the engine running properly it will get rid of carbon.

Carbon only builds up when you are running very rich, or you are burning excessive amounts of oil.

I am not sure the Seafoam 'eats' the carbon directly.

'Dammit Jim, I am a cleaner, not a janitor!'
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The other, BIG carbon producer is to use a high octane fuel in a low octane engine, like the XS1100!! These bikes are designed to run on LOW OCTANE FUEL from the factory. If you run premium all the time, you WILL build up a LOT of carbon in the combustion chamber. If you have a big bore kit, you probably need the premium fuel.
              SeaFoam WILL take the carbon off the top of a piston if you pour it on, and it WILL help ride of carbon in the combustion chamber if you spray it through the carbs on a warm engine, and then turn it off and let it set for about an hour.
              This is all personal experience, Automotive School, and a few engines torn down.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sludge slows things down and creates drag, reducing mileage and performance as well.
                Almost quoted from the oil commercials on the TV.... their advertising is obviously working on some people.

If you leave your oil in the pan indefinately.. yeah, you'll have a sludge problem as the oil turns to a tar-like substance. You will get a thin layer of it over time in the bottom of the oil pan, but the excsess sludge comes out in the oil changes you're SUPPOSED to do regularly. I've had lots of these engines apart, and in the oil pan is the only area I have seen any of this sediment. Everything else above that point is getting blasted with oil from spinning pieces/parts and there's no place else for it to settle really.

A quick blast from some carb or brake cleaner in the pan will get rid of it... but the thin layer sitting there isn't hurting anything.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Never had my carbs apart

I use it in my gas / carbs in a high concentration all winter in storage . It not only stabilizes the gas but cleans the carbs . It runs better in the spring than when I put it away . No breakdown of rubber parts . I also have used it in the oil for 20 minutes on the center stand with a fan and I go through the gears and revs a bit.Then drain .
                  With this practice I will never need to clean my carbs by hand ...Bike runs great .
                  XJ1100K
                  Avon rubber
                  MikesXS black coils
                  Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                  MikesXS front master
                  Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                  Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                  Progressive fork springs
                  CIBIE headlight reflector
                  YICS Eliminator

Comment

The idea is not to persuade anyone, if it works for you, then use it. If you believe that it is snake oil, then do not use it. Reading information on this site as well as others leaves the reader with the job of winnowing the accepted facts from the blather. I accept that posters on this site tell what works for them. I tried the SeaFoam, and it worked for my application.

You can add a small amount of kerosene to regular gas and reduce the flash point, thus reducing the pinging caused in premature ignition, or use a higher octane fuel to accomplish the same thing within reason. The only draw back of the kerosene is the small amount of paraffin left in the distillate. That may cause a collection of gunk.

The SeaFoam probably does the same thing as other additives as well as dissolving the other gunk. It works for me.

Comment

OK but I'm still going to keep some snake oil in my garage too.(it's 40% alcohol)
                      1980 special (Phyllis)
                      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

40% ? that is 80 proof, you can pay 10 bucks more and get 100, 50%, or drink twice as much 40% for that accidental snake bite and be a lot happier. Depends on your taste.

Comment

Working...
                        X