What the???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the???

Well today before the kids started showing up,I decided I owed myself a fathersday ride.About 50 miles into the ride and while negotiating some very fun and fast twisties I looked down at my 79 160 mph ebay speedo and the pointer needle had broken off at the base.I've never seen or heard off this happening.Can I pull the speedometer apart and install the pointer out of my 85 mph one?I've never repaired a speedometer before.I ran a search and didn't find anything.Hope someone can help.Thanks Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

This thread may help you, it's the square speedo but the basics should be the same.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=speedometer
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-21-2009, 08:26 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil I Think that one should help.Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Hey Terry,

I didn't provide a link, it's late! But if you look in the tech tips under repairs, you'll see where I took apart a Special's TACH, the housing should be the same, same technique would be required, that may also help you with Gingerly trying to remove the spare needle from the donor for the 160mph one!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I recall a recent thread where someone replaced the needle and it would not zero back out. Seems to me it came down to not having premarked the speedo as 3-phase shows in his thread (did not see if the tech tip talked about it). JAT
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Thanks guys,I don't think I'll get to work on it until thurs or fri.I have full work schedule till then.Guess I should feel lucky and be grateful for that these days.I also got my green Mikes XS coils today.I'm going to try to get both jobs done before weekend.Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Working...
            X