Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Adjustment (in the right forum, this time!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustment (in the right forum, this time!)

Ok guys, so my bike could definitely use a valve adjustment. However, after calling Action Yamaha of Edison, New Jersey, i was informed abruptly that it would cost at least 300 dollars. my jaw hit the floor. I've been told previously that a valve adjustment is only about an hour's worth of work.

So, right now i'm terrified.. i'm terrified of paying 300 dollars to have my valves adjusted, but i'm more terrified of doing it myself. Has anyone done a write-up on valve adjustments? I know, i know, shop manual... i haven't even looked at the process - this is just really a feeler thread. is there ANYONE in the new jersey/ny/pa area "in the know" about this stuff that might be willing to give me a hand? i've got warm meals, cold beer and good music (and a dad who'll talk your goddamn ear off for hours). anyone?
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim
    I came to get down.

pictorial

Try this out:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

I just finished mine. It's not difficult at all. Good luck. Mike
    1982 xj 1100 pod filters
    4 into 1 Supertrapp

Comment

Nice pictorial guide!

Couple points though, one is the aftermarket tools like that are known to be hard to use at best. I did borrow one that I think was a Yamaha and even it would not work well on one of my valves. So get the Yamaha tool, othewise and if you need to adjust more than a couple or few valves, TRBig did a great writeup of how to do this by loosening the cams. It will be much quicker and easier that way.

Secondly, I really doubt you will cause any trouble using a magnetic pickup on the shims. One, your replacing them anyway, they will surely loose any magnetism picked up before they get re-installed next time or in another valve or another bike even. And if you have that much loose metal in your engine to get attracted and ruin your cam lobes I think you have bigger things to worry about than cam lobes. JMHO.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
      X