Having trouble id'ing model of my 81 XS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble id'ing model of my 81 XS1100

Ok, so I am stupid. So now that you have found that out early on in our relationship, be easy on me. Recently brought home this really terrific old school work horse and would like some help id'ing what model I have. I am seeing sigs with alpha characters after the XS1100 and I would like to know which I have. This is where you ask me to post a pic, well I am not quit ready to do that as I have parts removed right now but I will snap a few later today. For now, i can tell you this, the title says, 81 and the sidecover says "eleven special". The neck tag says manf. date is 6/80.

I can tell you it is appears to be a 1981 XS1100 special and is naked with a chrome 4-2 factory exhaust system.

Without a picture, can anyone tell me specifically what model I have? Thanks, Ed
    Ed Jones
    Lenoir, NC, USA

Currently:

1982 CB900 Custom(project still)
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1977 Honda CB750F
    1976 Honda CB750K6

Welcome to XS11,

The letter designates year.E=78 F=79 G=80 H=81.An S before the year letter
    designates a Special.Like 1980 XS1100SG. My title says SG on it.
    Also if you look around you will see we dont care if your bike is in one piece or a hundred we still like pics.
    Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Look at this link and check your serial number against the list.

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

Ok, guys sounds like I have an 81 XS1100SH. Thanks to all. I saved her this week from a Harley dealer who took her in on trade. All she needed was someone to replace the missing carb clamps and tighten those that were loose and she is happy and purring like a kitten. Only 17,200 miles and no tranny issues. Took her for her first road test this afternoon and she is smooth as can be and handles surprisingly well although I may have to replace the pullbacks. I am 6ft. 4 and I need something more forward. Here is a pic. I hope I get it to post. Thanks again to all. Ed

Ed Jones
        Lenoir, NC, USA

Currently:

1980 XS1100 Special
        1977 Honda CB750F
        1976 Honda CB750K6

Comment

Sorry wrong pic. lets try again.
          Ed Jones
          Lenoir, NC, USA

Currently:

1980 XS1100 Special
          1977 Honda CB750F
          1976 Honda CB750K6

Comment

Way ta go...

Great save, Stickman! Especially from a Hardley dealership....

Good looking Special. Welcome to CH 11. Ride Safe!

There are lots of great threads here to check when you get your first one... things to check out, a few weaknesses to strengthen here and there. Follow the tech tips and enjoy the ride. There's also a fellow member here (Catatonic Bug) that has set up a download for a manual if you need one. See him. If ya need parts from time to time, Andreashweiss or Acof911 are a couple of fellow members that can be of service.
            Regards,
            Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Wow... That's a sweet rescue! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? It's not too common to see new guys run across these bikes in that kind of condition. You got a nice deal there. Of course, it means you aren't forced to dig into it and learn about all the internal workings, but if you get as addicted to these bikes as most of us are here, those things will come in the future!

As was mentioned, manuals available in my signature!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Nice

Nice find, I've got the same bike up in Canada. Looks like that one was well taken care of by the last owner, I think he'll miss it!. And hey, what's wrong with the first pic...I knew exactly what I was looking at?

Cheers,
                MJ
                1981 XS1100 Special
                Saddlemen Seat
                MAC 4 into 2 Turnouts

Comment

Thanks all for the gracious welcome. I am looking forward to really getting to know my 1100 better. What impressed me most early was the great condition of the chrome and it appears to be totally stock except of course for the paint job. What I call unmolested. I have a 30 day tag and may as well use it, starting tomorrow. I will report back after my first shake down cruise. Ride safe, Ed
                  Ed Jones
                  Lenoir, NC, USA

Currently:

1980 XS1100 Special
                  1977 Honda CB750F
                  1976 Honda CB750K6

Comment

81 xs1100 sh

Yep, that is an 81 special. The 81 year was the only one with the "Nike Swish" under the "Eleven Special" on the side cover. And it is a true special as it has the front wheel in front of the forks and round headlight and gages (and of course the woefully unfitting 85 MPH speedo which just indicates it was after 79!)
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                    X