• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countershaft freeplay

Im in the pocess of swapping out my siezed engine,
    with the the engine of my parts bike.

Ive pulled the countershaft out of the engine, to check all the gears,
    all gears looked fine, so Ive attempted to put it all back together,
    the problem Im having is when I tighten the bolt/washer to the countershaft ive got about 2mm free play/slop with the shaft, Ive put all the gears, circlips, thrust washers in order as per clymers, I cant figure out what ive done to cause this freeplay, can any1 think of something i may have done or missed, any help will be appreciated.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

I do not know the answer to your query, however, if you have the gears out and you have a dremmel tool, I'd go ahead and gack cut the gears now. It can only help and keep you from being back in there later. JMHO
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I was quite surprised with the gears,
      both bikes have over 130 000ks and all the gears
      look like new, other than the washer swap im quite
      happy to leave the rest alone, just need to figure out
      this shaft.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I found the problem with the free play, apparently
        the 5n5 series motors have a washer that sits between the bolt
        and case bearing, which takes up any free play.

Ive got it all put back together and using my gears from my original engine
        which are in excellent condition, the problem im having now is i when i engage 1st gear, the gears arent meshing and when i release the clutch i get the 'machine gun ' sound, if im stationary and put it into first the shift locks up and i have to turn the engine off and rock the bike to be able to get it back into neutral. All other gears work well.

Any ideas what would cause 1st gear not to mesh properly, especially that the gears worked fine in the original engine, the gears looked good, the shift forks look straight, the shift pawl is alligned correctly. any help appreciated.
        pete

new owner of
        08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
        zrx carbs
        18mm float height
        145 main jets
        38 pilots

Comment

Purely a guess, but the first and fifth shift forks look identical and could be switched. Here is s pic of mine in place

Note the longer side faces out. If you perhaps had them with the shorter side out, switched, could it cause your issue?

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Im pretty sure i have the shift forks in the right
            order, my next thought might be the shift drum,
            im going to have to pull it apart again and have a good look around.
            Thanx for the suggestions.
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots

Comment

I figured with the amount of 1st and 2nd gear repairs,
              Id get a better response, so no one else has any thoughts or theorys?
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots

Comment

Hey Pete, alot of the folks that have done this work extensively are at the MOTM rally in Texas this weekend, so may be monday before you hear some moer on this.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Cheers Don,
                  didnt realize it was this weekend.
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots

Comment

Hey Pete,

I've done this a few times. The one time I experienced difficulty shifting was when the shift chamber cover was being put on, and got pulled back out slightly, enough to allow the shift pawl to slip and fall out of alignment, the dots on the gear/teethed faces didn't line up, and the bike would only shift INTO 1st and neutral, but not higher. Once "we" pulled the shift cover back off, we found the misalignment, repositioned it, and it then shifted just fine!

Your problem does sound like the shift fork isn't fully engaging 1st gear, and so the gear is hanging up with the pinion gears, engaging 2 different gear wheels at the same time, thereby LOCKING the shaft up. So...either the shift drum isn't spinning to it's full 1st gear engagement position, or it is, and the wrong shift fork is in the wrong place?

I've never done the washer swap on the ones I've repaired, the undercutting has been sufficient to keep the gears engaged.
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you look at DGXSER's photo, as you look at it, the shift fork on the left is on 4th gear. That shift fork moves back and forth.. sliding to the left (Again as you see in the pic) so that 4th goes into 1st gear lands. Later, it will slide to the right to operate 3rd. 4th gear has dogs on both sides of it.

I tried at one point to swap the the washer between 4th and 1st like some do with 2nd gear. Instead of taking a full step, I found some washers that were the right size and exactly half the thickness as the original. I put one where the washer originally goes, then one behind 1st gear.. moving 1st just half the distance towards 4th for a better engagement of the gears. This experiment failed. While in 4th gear, you could hear it meshing with 1st and it prematurely wiped out 1st gear by rounding off the edges of the lands on 1st and the dogs on 4th.

My long winded version of what may have happened could be a simple washer being in the wrong place on re-assembly, the button on your shift fork being worn where it goes into the shift drum, as stated, possible shift fork order wrong (THey are numbered 1-3 and stamped on the forks and would be in order from right to left in the pic).

My main thought is to get more infor on what you were saying in the beginning. With an extra washer added in the wrong place, like inside the case between the starter gear and the case, it would make the gears in the pic not get pulled far enough to the left.. essentially pushing the shaft and first gear too close to 4th. 4th stays where it is because the shift fork holds it there.. but the other gears would be out of alignment. I'm not sure, but are you saying certain motors having a washer that others don't? If so, all the motors, from 78-84 use the same gears, transmissions, shafts, washers, clips, etc. There is no washer between the starter gear and the case. If you look at an exploded view of the gears, there is a clip shown but that is in the case holding the bearing there.

Tod
                      Last edited by trbig; 06-21-2009, 08:42 AM. Reason: Brain not engaged this morning..
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Tod,

The Yamaha Bulletins describe a possible problem with the later 81 model trans, because they went to a slightly narrower bearing on that countershaft, and so a thicker washer was required to take up the space that the narrower bearing left behind, vs. the older thicker bearing. There was warnings about ensuring that the correct edge of the washer was oriented properly. There is a bevel rounded edge vs a sharp edge that needs to be in the correct position against the bearing. I can't remember the exact details, but the bulletin is viewable on the Yamaha Online parts fiche site.

IT's the 4th Tech Bulletin in the 81SH listing: However, the washer is already installed between the bearing and the engine case, and is not removed during the tranny repair process. The gears, and shafts are still the same, and so swapping them from the newer engine to an older engine should not cause any problems. I know when I did mine, I just had access to the same parts that are on the fiche, didn't have to worry about any extra washer on the shaft.

I think SCOTT/3Phase had a similar experience with his countershaft nut working loose, and IIRC had tried to put an extra washer in there trying to shim things closer??
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

I stand corrected.. or sit anyway..

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                            Tod,

The Yamaha Bulletins describe a possible problem with the later 81 model trans, because they went to a slightly narrower bearing on that countershaft, and so a thicker washer was required to take up the space that the narrower bearing left behind, vs. the older thicker bearing. There was warnings about ensuring that the correct edge of the washer was oriented properly. There is a bevel rounded edge vs a sharp edge that needs to be in the correct position against the bearing. I can't remember the exact details, but the bulletin is viewable on the Yamaha Online parts fiche site.

IT's the 4th Tech Bulletin in the 81SH listing: However, the washer is already installed between the bearing and the engine case, and is not removed during the tranny repair process. The gears, and shafts are still the same, and so swapping them from the newer engine to an older engine should not cause any problems. I know when I did mine, I just had access to the same parts that are on the fiche, didn't have to worry about any extra washer on the shaft.

I think SCOTT/3Phase had a similar experience with his countershaft nut working loose, and IIRC had tried to put an extra washer in there trying to shim things closer??
                            T.C.
                            Hey; TC~~ where are you accessing "....Yamaha Bulletins describe.....IT's the 4th Tech Bulletin............" this from? "...viewable on the Yamaha Online parts fiche site. ......." (??) I know it's there; cain't find it.
                            JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
                            7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Hey Norton,

Follow this link: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Then to parts, motorcycle, 81 SH model, scroll down the listing says TECH BULLETINS, the 4th one down.
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                              X