Kreeming fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreeming fuel tank

Just a minor question. I love my bike except for its rusty hell of a tank. Serious cancer! Have found much useful info off the site on kreeming tank. Before I embark on this adventure, can anyone tell me what material they used to block off the holes, espectially the large cavity where the fuel guage cover goes and the fuel filler hole.

I once took my XJ900 tank off to an "eggspurt" who proceeded to use use my fuel taps as the bung with resultant acid bath disolving off the fuel tap filter and fittings. Yet another incident that confirmed with me the need to do as much as possible myself (because no one else gives a hoot).

I was thinking of fabricating some sheet metal to cover the small fuel tap holes and the fuel guage hole and then just use a sink plug for the filler oriface (with hole drilled in it for pressure release).

Thanks fellas. Scott J
    Scotty J
    Burpengary, Q Australia
    XS1100E 1978
    XJ900N 1985
    Ariel 350 Red Hunter 1949

I used aluminum plate.I just cut it to roughly the right shape.Then I used an old inner tube and cut gaskets out of it.
    Kreem doesnt have a great reputation for lasting very well.
    POR-15 works well from what Ive read.You may want to do a little more research before you settle on a product.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hey, Scott, welcome to Channel 11!

How bad is the rust and has it gone through the tank walls? I used electricity and phosphoric acid to clean the rust out of my tank.

Fuel Tank Electrolytic Rust Removal

I used the rubber gaskets with some old baseboard molding for the fuel tap mounting holes and a scrap of pegboard for fuel guage hole. The covers have to be fairly sturdy or they'll leak around the gasket and the bolts but it's not critical.

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=rlundy

if you look at the next to last post in this thread you can see the sheet metal covers I made along with the gaskets (corky/rubber gasket material from auto parts store). I used the POR 15 kit and was very happy with it. Just make sure you roll the tank all over your yard for 20 minutes like the directions say.
        1978 XS1100E "in progress"
        St. Petersburg FL

Comment

Hey Scott,
          I Kreemed my tank ~3-4 years ago, and I haven't had a problem. This could be due to my obsessive need to follow the instructions to a T. If you half-ass it, the results will be half-assed.

It's very important to fully seal all holes. That stuff will eat paint immediately upon contact! I used some rubber gasket material (1'x1') I got at a truck parts store, cut to size. To hold that on tight, I just cut some plywood to size and drilled holes the size of the screws holding on the petcocks. Use the screws supplied by Yamaha and you'll be good to go.

Although.... I do have to admit, I did it when I was still quite green about the 11's, and didn't take off the fuel gauge cover, so the bobber and arm (and everything else in there) got Kreemed too. But, I'd assume the same gasket/plywood combo would work there too.
          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

I did what Tarzan did. Old inner tube (free for the asking at the tire shop) and some sheet metal. I used an electrical plate cover for the gauge hole.

Worked great throughout the whole process.

I only used duct tape when I actually got to the por15 coating process and that worked fine too.

Good luck getting it cleaned up. You'll be glad you did.
            Bothell, WA
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

On my XS11G the tank had previously been kreamed. It looked like it wasn't cleaned properly or had moisture when the kream was put down. When I pulled the petcocks off for rebuild, the kream was lifting and had substantial rust under it. I then found pin holes occuring on top of the tank blistering the paint and finally leaking fuel.

I was fortunate to find a tank(Thanks Andreas!) and am having it and the side covers painted.

Gotta make sure ALL of the rust is removed and nuetralized properly before kreaming the tank. Or you may experience what I have.
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                On my XS11G the tank had previously been kreamed. It looked like it wasn't cleaned properly or had moisture when the kream was put down. When I pulled the petcocks off for rebuild, the kream was lifting and had substantial rust under it. I then found pin holes occuring on top of the tank blistering the paint and finally leaking fuel.

I was fortunate to find a tank(Thanks Andreas!) and am having it and the side covers painted.

Gotta make sure ALL of the rust is removed and nuetralized properly before kreaming the tank. Or you may experience what I have.
                I'd worry about the tank not being mechanically sound if it had pinholes; good job replacing it instead of riding around with a weak and leaky metal balloon full of fuel.

Fortunately, my tank doesn't have any leaks. The metal is sound and it cleaned up nicely but from what I've read about POR15 it actually likes a little rust and bonds to it. If I ever pour a liner in my fuel tank that's what I'd use instead of Kreem.

Regards,

Scott
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                X