X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotwire my Bike

Hi,

I bought a 1980 XS110G from a junk yard with no key.I can cross the starter
    with a screw driver to make it and it does run and start but it has to keep the starter kicked in do do it and I don't want to burn the starter out.Help help

Starter

I assume when you are jumping the ignition the starter is firring the engine over and not just cranking. With that being the case you can easily (and rather cheaply) unbolt and rewire in a new ignition from mikes xs or several other sources with little to know problem.

just my 2 cents:
    Gary King
    Gary King
    79 xs 1100 special/ standard front end
    bobbed with love.

Comment

While you're waiting for a new ignition switch, you can connect the red and brown wires that go to the main switch and power it up.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

You can also make a three wire jumper to connect the blue wire to the red wire to power up the lights. Last year after I had a mishap, I had to ride 400 miles with no ignition switch . The ign switch pigtail had been severed in the mishap, as did the headlight so it was removed, so I made a jumper that connected the red wire to the brown and blue wire in the harness. That replaced the switch, and like I said, I rode 400 miles with that setup. I would just reach into the bucket and plug the jumper wire into the red wire in the connector, and I was on my way. When I wanted to shut it off, I just unplugged the jumper from the red wire.

Comment

Is there a any numbers or numbers and letters stamped on the ignition lock by where the key goes in? If there is, copy them down and take them to a locksmith and they can probably make you a key that will work all the locks on the bike from this code, or you can take the tank in to them and they can make a key from the gas cap lock.
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by Lordskeep View Post
            Hi, I bought a 1980 XS110G from a junk yard with no key.I can cross the starter with a screw driver to make it and it does run and start but it has to keep the starter kicked in do do it and I don't want to burn the starter out.Help help
            Hi Lordskeep,
            you mean the motor fired up and ran with the starter still engaged?
            You really don't want to do that.
            Yes you can twist wires together to bypass the ignition to see if it runs but you will eventually need a key. Or two, how did you open the gas cap BTW?
            There's a 4 digit number on the face of the ignition switch. Check and see if the fuel cap has the same number. If it's different you will need 2 keys.
            Write the numbers down and go see a locksmith.
            Not the bimboid in the kiosk in the mall.
            The old guy in the automotive locksmith's in the industrial area.
            It'll be ~$20 for him to research the correct key blank and ward pattern plus ~$2.50 for each key he cuts.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X