Blowing Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing Fuses

Yesterday, when I used the left-turn signal, my bike quit running and I found a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse, the bike ran fine again on my way home until I forgot and used the turn signals again which was the left-turn signal. The bike quit and blew another fuse. This time when I replaced the fuse, it would just blow when I turned the key on.

Usually, I use the right- turn once and then the left-turn when I leave work, but I don't remember if I had used the right-turn before I blew the first fuse.

I would appreciate any ideas.
    Thanks,
    John in El Paso
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G
    2002 Honda Goldwing
    1977 Yamaha TY250
    1973 Yamaha TX750 (future project)

Sounds like you have a direct short in the turn signal wiring. I would pull your headlight and start checking wires inside and where they go through the headlight box for bared wires or ones that look burnt.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

When I first got Betsy she had the annoying habit of quiting on me for no good reason. I'd be riding along and everything would go dark and the motor would shut down. I finally tracked the cause down to a rather large white wire behind the fuseblock mounting plate. Turns out that wire is notorious for burning it's insulation off and shorting out the works. I also found the ignition switch connector in the headlight bucket with insulation burned off the red wire. The ignition switch connector also has a wire that runs to the turn signals and tail lights. That's what I would look at first (as Don said), followed by the wires behind the fuseblock mounting plate, followed by a thorough inspection and cleaning of every electrical connection you can find (it's a PITA, but it pays off).
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-17-2009, 05:59 PM.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
      X