Burning smell at full throttle and engine knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage

Hi, most of my driving is on the highway, usually at about 80 mph, with no fairing, so lots of wind drag. So the engine is under a pretty good load most of the time. I don't think the vacuum advance would have been active under these conditions anyway. So, no I haven't noticed any decrease in gas mileage. As far as top end goes, nothing really noticeable there, except maybe a bit more top end power. I look at it this way, at wide open throttle there is not a lot of vacuum anyway, so the vacuum advance is probably not doing much of anything anyhow. So with the initial timing set at 10 degrees more than stock, I figure I have 10 degrees more advance at top speed as well, so therefore a bit more power. I do run the highest octane gas I can find, I would not recommend running regular gas, set up like this. The only time you would start losing gas mileage with the vacuum line disconnected, would be running with light engine loads for extended periods of time, say 40 to 50 mph on a level road.
    Leo
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1197cc Wiseco kit
    1978 cams
    4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
    Keihin CR33 mm carbs
    K&N individual pod filters
    TKAT fork brace

Comment

hi all,
      I am a new member and have not posted anything before.I hope I am doing this correctly in asmuch as I would like to introduce myself first.I live in NewZealand and have a 1980 XS1100G.I recently removed my timing advance parts to clean and check everything and after refitting and resetting the ignition timing I discovered a light knocking/tapping noise at idle and light throttle settings.When I accelerate the noise disapears.I discovered that it is indeed the vacuum advance unit.A simple test is to simply squeeze the rubber hose when the engine is running which effectively stops it working and presto the noise dissapeared.When I then released the hose the noise came back.
      What I don't understand is why the noise started after I had removed and reinstalled the unit.The engine is still running well with plenty of power.

Thanks

ps I also own a BSA A7 1951
      BMW R100/7 1977
      Kawasaki KLR250 2001
      1980 XS1100g with sidecar
      1977 BMW R100/7
      1951 BSA A7 500cc Plunger
      2001 Kawasaki KLR250

Comment

Originally posted by xssidecar View Post
        hi all,
        I am a new member and have not posted anything before.I hope I am doing this correctly in asmuch as I would like to introduce myself first.I live in NewZealand and have a 1980 XS1100G.I recently removed my timing advance parts to clean and check everything and after refitting and resetting the ignition timing I discovered a light knocking/tapping noise at idle and light throttle settings.When I accelerate the noise disapears.I discovered that it is indeed the vacuum advance unit.A simple test is to simply squeeze the rubber hose when the engine is running which effectively stops it working and presto the noise dissapeared.When I then released the hose the noise came back.
        What I don't understand is why the noise started after I had removed and reinstalled the unit.The engine is still running well with plenty of power.

Thanks

ps I also own a BSA A7 1951
        BMW R100/7 1977
        Kawasaki KLR250 2001
        Hi xssidecar,
        is it possible that you reconnected the vacuum advance hose to one of the vacuum connections on the carb manifold instead of to the vacuum connection on the #2 carb body? That'll do that.
        And a '51 A7? That the rigid frame that shook your kidneys loose or the plunger frame that cornered like a dinghy in a choppy sea?
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Fred,yes you were dead right.I had the hose on the wrong fitting!!!!.
          And yes my BSA is the plunger model.It does buck and weave but not as bad as the 650---not as much power!.
          Thanks for your help and I should have known as I have had it off before.
          Cheers from down under.
          1980 XS1100g with sidecar
          1977 BMW R100/7
          1951 BSA A7 500cc Plunger
          2001 Kawasaki KLR250

Comment

Working...
          X