Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Fuel Light

Greetings,

The last couple of times that I left the bike parked in the sun for an extended period, the low fuel light has come on. There is plenty of fuel in the tank. On both occasions, I have gone to the gas station and filled it up (less than 2 gallons each time) and the light goes out as I beleive the added fuel cools the tank.
    My question is...... Is the low fuel sensor triggered by actual fuel level or does it sense temperature differance to determine that no fuel is at that level.

Thanks for your wisdom,
    LuckyEddie
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
    1982 XV750J Virago
    1976 GL1000
    1978 GL1000 Supercharged
    1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Eddie, the light works with a thermistor (thermal resistor). When the fuel level drops the thermstor is gradually uncovered and heats up, lowering its resistance and allowing enough current to flow to light up the warning lamp.

Leaving the bike parked in the sun could heat the fuel in the tank enough that it doesn't cool the thermistor and the warning lamp comes on sooner than it should.

Regards,

Scott
    -- Scott
    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
    1979 XS1100F: parts
    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Forget the fuel guage, it's too random. Just rely on your trip meter. Even then i still open up the gas cap to look inside to check how much gas i have left.
      1978 XS1100E Standard
      Kerker Exhaust
      Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
      TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
      Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Scott,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I like to know the "how and why" of the way things work. Now I know that there is not an electrical gremlin that I should be chasing in regaurds to the fuel light.
        LuckyEddie
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight special
        1982 XV750J Virago
        1976 GL1000
        1978 GL1000 Supercharged
        1981 XV920RH (chain drive)

Comment

Just ran through the first tank of Fuel on the XS11 Special and the low fuel light came on like it should. I stopped and fueled it up. Now it wont go off! Checked resistance on it and had 35ohms. Until I run through this tank I just disconnected it. I did however note that I went 90mi before it came on and I switched to reserve . 29.8mpg(too much fun riding!)
          Richard

Comment

Working...
          X