exhaust blots too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust blots too long

I had to replace the cylinder head assembly when I tore apart the engine on my 80xs special. The new exhaust bolts are longer than the old. It seem to remember that it was a year to year length change. Anyhooo. The bolts I have are from the old head and as they are hex bolts, they are too short.

Any suggestions on a work around, or do I need "Exhaust" bolts? Can I use any old bolt?

begin praying, I am going to start this thing up as soon as I get the exhaust installed. My wife is afraid that the thing is going to explode when I start it. The promise of life insurance money doesn't seem to be much of a comfort.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

MY 81 has studs inserted into the block and hex head cap nuts that go on the stud after the exhaust is installed.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I put standard pipes on my special. The bolts were too short. I pulled them out of the head and reversed them. On my 79 SF the part of the exhaust stud that actually threaded into the cylinder head was longer. I did plan on using regular bolts, cutting off the heads and making studs that way, but tracking down metric bolts was a problem on the day and I was keen to get the bike on the road. The reversed studs didn't bottom out on the cylinder head, but they held fine.

[Edit..Er, Um.... Well.... it might not work the other way...}

Your Bike May Vary.
      Last edited by gareth; 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM. Reason: Realized that suggestion probably wouldn't work...

Comment

It's not a year thing. The standards have longer studs than the specials.

I assume the standard exhaust must have thicker flanges, but all mine like the short studs so they must be off of specials.

I just change them as needed.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Possible solution

I just used several SS washers to make up for the extra length. My flanges were of the ribbed fancy kind and the washers disappeared into the recesses (holes), so you can't even see them.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
            SS washers
            Is an SS washer different from a regular ol washer? I have the fancy flanges too.
            Sam Christensen

Comment

I think it may be year related. I took an exhaust off of a 79 standard and put it on an 80 standard. The lengths were different. I just swapped the studs as well
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

washers

I have a bassani exhaust on my 78 and I just used a couple of washers an alock washer and that has held for a year or so!!
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

digitalsam,

I'm pretty sure cobia was talking about stainless steel washers when he made the "SS washers" comment. You can find them where you get your other metric hardware. Ace Hardware seems to be a common source.
                  Good luck.
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Used three lock washers on each pipe and it did the trick. Could not find regular washers that had a small OD and a large ID. Should have probably used four washers, but three worked well and are all well hidden.

Thanks for the advice.
                    Sam Christensen

Comment

Longer studs for a Kerker??

Just got around to doing some work on the XS. (SWMBO is at the beach with the kids. I couldn't get off of work. Oh, Darn.) Had to take off the Kerker exhaust to get the oil filter off. Found out that the PO didn't use any exhaust gaskets when he put the Kerker on. Hopefully that didn't cause any major issues. Any way, when trying to put the exhaust back on (with new exhaust gaskets), the additional thickness from the gasket makes the studs too short. Sheeot, I was hoping to get the beast fired up tonight. Guess it will have to wait until I get some longer studs. Anybody with a Kerker have the same problem?

The parts bike that I just picked up has the short studs also. SWMBO is gonna kill me for giving her another "surprise." I waited until she was at the beach to pick up the partser.
                      79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box
                      79 XS1100 SF - parts (for now) - "Divorce Maker II"
                      79 XS1100 SF "The one that got away" sold in 1993.

Comment

I had the same problem, bolts were too long for the exhaust. I used some thick wall copper pipe of the right diameter. Cut some spacers, problem solved. Think it cost me a buck or so.
                        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                        '82 XJ1100
                        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

My studs are too short, not too long. Gonna have to get to the hardware store to get some longer ones. Might as well give the Kerker a good polishing while I have it off.

So far, have found 2 PO mess-ups: 1) no exhaust gaskets installed 2) the oil filter washer was missing (at least the spring was still there). The parts bike is starting to pay off already. Saved me at least 25 cents for a replacement washer.
                          79 XS1100 SF - name TBD - possibly "Divorce Maker" Kerker 4 into 1, K&N filter in stock air box

Comment

I got the longer exhaust studs at a local auto parts store. Anybody got a cheap source for the allen head nuts? My nuts are pretty rusty. (Insert gonad joke here.)

Comment

Working...
                            X