Not Super Technical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Super Technical

I'm almost finished with my XJ 1100 Project. I just have tires and paint to do, which will be done in the next few days.
    I found a used,front master cylinder that I was able to rebuild and it's seems to work great.
    I tried to install a mirror I had from a different XJ but it won't thread in. I'm wondering if it is possible that the perch has left handed threads . The mirror has right handed threads but won't thread in, so I'm wondering if I just need to run a tap down the hole to clean the threads or get a different mirror with left handed threads. The left side threads right in.
    Thanks
    Rob
    82 XJ1100
    Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
    Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Hi Rob,
    I know 1 side has left hand threads, just cant think which side of hand,
    you can buy a small adapter that screws in with the top having a right hand thread or you can buy a mirror with a left hand thread, both yamaha and aftermarket mirrors are available.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

you can buy a small adapter that screws in with the top having a right hand thread
      Like Mikes XS Part #16-3001.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

JCWhitney as well
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by Project1100 View Post
          - - - I tried to install a mirror I had from a different XJ but it won't thread in. I'm wondering if it is possible that the perch has left handed threads . The mirror has right handed threads but won't thread in, so I'm wondering if I just need to run a tap down the hole to clean the threads or get a different mirror with left handed threads. The left side threads right in.
          Thanks
          Hi Rob,
          Yamaha right-side mirrors have left-hand threads. I heard tell that there's actually a reason to do that.
          If the bike falls over on it's right side the right-side mirror will unscrew it's stem rather than get smashed or twist it's stalk off.
          Sounds feasible, anyway.
          BUT if you wind a right-hand tap into a left-hand threaded hole as you propose doing, all you will be left with is no threads at all.
          Two options, get a proper left-hand threaded mirror or get a leftie-rightie mirror adapter.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I ordered new mirrors for my XJ from "Mikes XS". He was the most reasonable priced for what I was looking for. It does explain that the right mirror is left handed thread. I just needed to be sure before I went and did something stupid like twisting a right handed tap down a left hand threaded hole. That would NOT be good. I've had enough set-backs with this bike already. I don't need any more. It's almost finished. I'm just waiting to get the tank and side covers back from the painter. I'm getting excited.
            Rob
            82 XJ1100
            Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
            Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

Working...
            X