Electrolysis to the Rescue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolysis to the Rescue!

So I am in the middle of doing this to my tank, and I was wondering if there was any disadvantages to using Sodium Bicarbonate (BAKING SODA)? I read a post on a different forum that says that it has a corrosive quality. I have been using it and the coat hangar I used actually got eaten through and now resides at the bottom of my tank.

It seems to be working, as I am getting tons of sh-tuff on the anode when I check it every 12is hours. I am planning on doing this until I get nothing on the anode, and until I get my POR-15, which I will then coat the inside of the tank with.

Let me know if I should be using the Sodium Carbonate instead of Sodium Bicarbonate (WASHING SODA or BAKING SODA).

Thanks!
    -Rick
    1979 XS1100 Standard

The hander got destroyed because of the electrolysis process, not the soda. Do you have any carbon welding rods?
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

The proper stuff to use is either washing soda or TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate). Baking soda does very little in comparrison.
      The Old Tamer
      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
        So I am in the middle of doing this to my tank, and I was wondering if there was any disadvantages to using Sodium Bicarbonate (BAKING SODA)? I read a post on a different forum that says that it has a corrosive quality. I have been using it and the coat hangar I used actually got eaten through and now resides at the bottom of my tank.

It seems to be working, as I am getting tons of sh-tuff on the anode when I check it every 12is hours. I am planning on doing this until I get nothing on the anode, and until I get my POR-15, which I will then coat the inside of the tank with.

Let me know if I should be using the Sodium Carbonate instead of Sodium Bicarbonate (WASHING SODA or BAKING SODA).

Thanks!
        -Rick
        Hi Rick,
        the parts de-rusting electrolysis instructions I read said to use WASHING soda. If you are using baking soda instead it may well be corroding your coat hanger but it most likely ain't cleaning your tank.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I just did this to my tank and it worked very well. Are you sure you had the leads in the correct places?

http://twinoak.altelco.net/~jacil/cl...ElecSetup.html
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Yes leads are in the right places, I honestly think it was just the baking soda instead of the washing soda. I am having a hell of a time finding washing soda, but as soon as I find it, i think that will work a million times better! Thanks for the reply guys!

-Rick
            1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

Try a swimming pool or spa company. They use a powder or big tablet form of the proper soda.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Clerek View Post
                Yes leads are in the right places, I honestly think it was just the baking soda instead of the washing soda. I am having a hell of a time finding washing soda, but as soon as I find it, i think that will work a million times better! Thanks for the reply guys!

-Rick
                Not sure about stateside, but here we get it from any supermarket, in the detergent aisle, beside the laundry powders.
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I found Arm&Hammer Washing Soda at the local Wal-Mart.
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I ended up finding it at Walmart, but it seems like just a laundry detergent, it is scented, something like "cool rush." It has the sodium carbonate, and some other ingredients, so I think this is the right thing. it isn't 100% sodium carbonate, but i think it will work alot better than the baking soda...

I will try it and report back!

-Rick
                    1979 XS1100 Standard

Comment

The box I wound up with from Wal-Mart is just plain old washing soda. I didn't even know there was scented. Think how nice and fresh your tank will smell.
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Someone told me that drain cleaner works well on rusted tanks. I don't know how true it is. I have an extra tank with a lot of rust that I was thinking of trying it out on but if it don't work I'll probably do the electrolysis thing.
                        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X