No announcement yet.

I surrender. Carbs, you win.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you NEED 3-4 turns out, meaning that's where it idles the smoothest, you may need to go up 1 pilot jet size.
    Others here are more 'in-tune' with that and should pipe in.

When you put the new pads in your brakes did you find the metal plates that go behind the pads? Those are what is supposed to get rid of the squeel.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

You don't say if you have a manual, if not contact a bookstore in Dandenong (Melb) called Wheels of Time, generally find an addin Motorcycle Trader . I have dealt with them on several occasions and recieved good service, even COD. Any parts you need can be obtained from Partsnmore.com. They are in Canada. good prices, good service, 5 day delivery from Canada to Lavington NSW. Often needles and seats will cause grief with old carbs.

Comment

Argh, I knew those metal plates would come back to bite me someday. Unfortunately, when the bike was in pieces, someone decided to do a shed cleanup, and after an extensive search, it was concluded that they were probably residing in the local rubbish tip... If they're what stops the squeal, I guess it's off to the wreckers to try and track some down.

As for the pilot sizes, I'm currently running 42.5 pilots with 132.5 mains. The only mod that has been done here is the 1179 bore kit, would that normally constitute re-jetting? I can see how it would, but maybe someone who's done a big bore could chime in on that one? It just seemed to be running so well today (other than the idle thing...).
        Current playthings:

1981 Yamaha XS1100H - 1179cc Wiseco bore kit, 36mm ZRX1200 carburetors, damn thing has been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Yep, its been a long time coming.
        1988 Yamaha XT600 Tenere - She'll go just about anywhere!
        1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - The previous tourer, replaced by the XS11. Someone had to go.
        1974 Chrysler Valiant Charger - Because you can't only have 2 wheeled toys draining the cash.

Comment

Talk to switched on car mechanic about squealing brakes, think I have seen some sort of spray that deals with issue.

Comment

I don't think this bike would have gone back together without manuals... My memory isn't that good, haha. I was lucky to come across a Clymer and a Haynes manual for it at a swap meet a fair while back.
            And as for partsnmore.com, I'm foreseeing my bank account lowering again. There's actually a fair bit of good stuff on there. Cheers cueball. How's the weather down in sunny Albury?
            Current playthings:

1981 Yamaha XS1100H - 1179cc Wiseco bore kit, 36mm ZRX1200 carburetors, damn thing has been completely rebuilt from the frame up. Yep, its been a long time coming.
            1986 Yamaha FJ1200 - The previous tourer, replaced by the XS11. Someone had to go.
            1974 Chrysler Valiant Charger - Because you can't only have 2 wheeled toys draining the cash.

Comment

Sunny but cold,dry. only issue with Partsnmore.com is the cost of shipping, cost me 94 bucks to get box size of large pizza about twice as thick.

Comment

Nuther site

MikesXS.com there is a link from Partsnmore.com to mikes. lots of carb parts are interchangeable. they stock a very nice oval pod filter range. have used two sets myself. their freight is much cheaper, $35 and still 5 day delivery.

Comment

Make sure you dont mention 1100's at MikesXS. They're pretty anal about only having parts for 650's. They wouldnt even answer a question about compatibility when I asked about something a while back, just got an email saying they sell parts for xs650's only.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

132.5 mains? Your sig says you have an 81H standard?

If so, those mains are huge, unless you're running 78-79 carbs?

Stock jet size for yours should be 110-120.

From reading other bike sites, they say going big-bore actually sometimes needs a DROP in jet size....

'05 ST1300

Comment

When I first got the bike I was a little stumped as well, but then worked out I'm running the older style carbs with the blocked off pilot tower and brass floats. So I could see how 132.5 mains were fitted.

Thats interesting that a big bore mod could cause a drop in jetting, I would have thought the extra capacity would need more fuel in the mix. Weird, eh?
                      Current playthings:

Comment

Yes, it would seem to make sense that you go bigger, for the increased volume, but the way it was explained to me is that the increased cylinder volume actually increases the vacuum as well as the volume of air being drawn in.

Yes, 132.5 is the stock main size for a UK model.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I found parts here that I couldn't find elsewhere. seem to work fine.

https://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb...a&model=XS1100

Comment

Working...
                          X