Question On Carb Rebuild Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question On Carb Rebuild Kits

I have a friend that has a79 standard but has some rebuild kits for a 80 special. All we need are the float needles. Will this work???
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Something tells me the two are different. The change between '79 and '80 meant that the float needles are different.

Here is the kit for the '80-'81

and here is the kit for the '79

Looks a little different to me...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

On the '79 needle seats screw into the carb housing. The 80's+ are held in with a screw and clip and are sealed with an o-ring. What else am I missing here?
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yep Hobbyman got it, they are different. 78-79 were threaded seats AND a larger needle valve with brass seat IIRC. the 80 and above used a push in seat with o-ring seal and a clip with a screw to secure it in place. Also a little smaller valve with a viton tip.

I have read that if you want the viton tip valve you can get the Virago 920 seats and valves and they are much more plug and play for the 78-79 models.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

The float needles for the 80/81 have a viton tip, and will work with the 78/79 seats. Since viton is rubbery, you can probably get away with putting the new needles in the old seats. Some members (myself included) have installed XJ920 needles and seats which also work. The XJ seats are .001" larger in diameter than the stock 78/79's, which have around .003-.004" clearance with the vitons. Some members have reported problems with the needles sticking in the 78/79 seats, but I had it setup that way and it was working fine. The 80/81 needles are better needles, and should outlast the stock units and provide a better seal. I also have plastic floats installed, and the tabs are pretty close to straight when set at 26.5mm. It's going to be a little different with the brass floats, but shouldn't be a problem. You will have to adjust the tabs on the floats when changing to the viton needles.
          Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-16-2009, 05:43 AM.
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

also...

2 of the carbs have plastic floats and the other 2 have brass floats. Make a difference?
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
              Some members (myself included) have installed XJ920 needles and seats which also work. The XJ seats are .001" larger in diameter than the stock 78/79's, which have around .003-.004" clearance with the vitons.
              Doug, is that the XV? I was not aware of an XJ920. Of course, I have been known to be wrong before.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Don - You're right it's the XV - Virago needles. Thanks for the catch.

Kirmit - The plastic and brass floats get set to the same height (assuming your brass floats are in good condition and not 'squeezed' in on the sides), so you can probably get away with it. If you do it that way it would probably be best to put the plastic floats on 1 & 4, and the brass on 2 & 3. The plastics may be slightly more buoyant than the brass which would mean slightly leaner. Leaner should be on the outside as lean will run a little warmer and the outside jugs get better air flow for cooling.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                X