Electrical problems please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problems please help

I was having carb problems and with the help from people on this site I got that figured out. I got it running and was starting with no problem but the headlight did not work and no lights in the tach or speedo. Signal light work as do the tail light and break lights. The neutral and oil light work. The hazards do not work. I checked the fuses and a 10amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse now the starter will not turn no noise nothing when I push the button. It is a 81 SH. I have checked the connectors and all look ok and the battery is charged up, any help please.
    Keep it Real

81 XS1100 Special " Old School "
    82 Honda 450 ( the wife's )

Not sure on the headlights and such. For the starter, I'd begin with the solenoid that sits next to the fuse block on the left. Jumper across the big bolt connectors and see if starter turns. If it does, then start with checking voltage at the ignition circuit fuse. See if you have power at both sides of the fuse and at both connectors to the wires. If power is there then open the emergency stop switch on the right handlebar. See if it has juice to both sides when turned on. Then check for power at the low side of the solenoid.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Yeah I would start out where DG suggested. Then worry about the headlight later.You did know the engine must start then the headlight comes on right? Keep us posted.Terry
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Do you still have the stock fuse block. They can cause all kinds of problems.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I crossed the two posts on the solenoid and the starter turned, I have power at both sides of the 4 fusses in the fuse box ( the fuse box was replaced 3 years ago ). This is all I had time to check before work, I will check more after work. Thanks
          Keep it Real

Comment

try this

dismantle both handle bar switches VERY CAREFULLY and clean all the crud and corrosion [and possible broken wires] inside of them.
            testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Got home and went to work on the testing the starting system to find a loose connection in a connector under the tank. I am letting the battery charge before I try to figure out what is wrong with the lights. Many thanks for all of the advice and I hope I can call on the same support wit hthe light problem. Thanks again.
              Keep it Real

Comment

It sounds like your reg/rectifier.When it goes bad you have no headlight or tach.
                I had one go bad because one of the white wires from the alternator grounded out.Also the three white wires and one yellow go through a connector behind the fuseblock and that connector sometimes melts.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

My tach works it is just the lights in the tach, speedo, hazards and headlight.
                  Keep it Real

Comment

Sorry I don't have a wiring diagram for an 81.But on an 80 it looks to me like all the things you mentioned are turned on by a relay that is triggered threw a diode(located in the harness) coming from the regulator/rectifier.The main power to the relay is supplied from the fuse box.I think the relay is behind the fuse terminals.I hope this applies to your 81.Terry
                    1980 special (Phyllis)
                    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Great thanks for the info I will look at that after work today.
                      Keep it Real

Comment

I have been under the weather just like my XS. I can get it to start and run now but I still have problems one with the headlight and one with signal lights ( the signals worked before ) The headlight and the instrument light come on but if I turn the headlight to hi beam it blows the fuse. Also the sigals do not work at all.
                        Keep it Real

Comment

Yuk,if you're blowing a fuse you have a short circuit.(something touching ground)Maybe a wire insulation worn off touching the frame or another wire.Just have to trace out the circuit and look carefully for a bad spot.Maybe someone else has a better idea where to start looking.Terry
                          1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

Check the wires as they go into the headlamp bucket. They can rub and cause a short to ground.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies I found the problem. It was a grounded wire in the switch housing on the left hand side. I have it all back together and ready for the road. I will probably order a replacement from Mikes in the near future. Have a great day.
                              Keep it Real

Comment

Working...
                              X