new porblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new porblem

o.k here is my new problem i just got the carbs back yesterday and now it is doing something that i have never seen be for so i got it started with the new carb rebuild and clean and now when it runs it has a little back fire and wile it back fires or i could call it a little pop last night when i had it running i turned off all the lights and saw flames in the vacuum line so i turned it off and have not ran it seance any ideas and it does run really nice
    1980 xs 11 special

The motor vehicle action sequences depicted in this film are dangerous. All stunts were performed in controlled environments with professionally trained stunt crews on closed roads. No attempts should be made to duplicate any action,driving or car play scenes herein portrayed.

Originally posted by chevy_338 View Post
    o.k here is my new problem i just got the carbs back yesterday and now it is doing something that i have never seen be for so i got it started with the new carb rebuild and clean and now when it runs it has a little back fire and wile it back fires or i could call it a little pop last night when i had it running i turned off all the lights and saw flames in the vacuum line so i turned it off and have not ran it seance any ideas and it does run really nice
    Hi Chevy,
    you see these flames all the time the engine is running or only when it pops?
    You say it runs really nice so the valve and ignition timing must be OK.
    You sure it's actual flames in the tubes? Not just seeing the light from the charge burning when the inlet valve is open?
    I'm tempted to say, fit black rubber vacuum lines so it don't bother you.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You have clear vacuum lines? Or how do you see backfires in the vacuum line?

If you have the vacuum line off, the bike will cough and spit back.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

i have a clear vacuum line and it only does it when it pops
        1980 xs 11 special

The motor vehicle action sequences depicted in this film are dangerous. All stunts were performed in controlled environments with professionally trained stunt crews on closed roads. No attempts should be made to duplicate any action,driving or car play scenes herein portrayed.

Comment

Have you adjusted your mixture screws? I believe the popping can be a symptom of incorrect mixture screw settings. Start with 1.5 turns out from lightly seated, and see what happens.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Its getting hot in here.....

If the line is clear it may not put up well with the heat of the head where it should be connected for the vacuum, causing a vacuum leak. This may be your issue. Get vacuum line rated for the heat.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Ok, definately try adjusting the mixture screw on that carb. Popping likey indicates lean, so try turning the screw out first.

You adjust those screws to attain the fastest, smooth idle, then adjust the overall idle afterwards.

The spitting back won't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                Ok, definately try adjusting the mixture screw on that carb. Popping likey indicates lean, so try turning the screw out first.

You adjust those screws to attain the fastest, smooth idle, then adjust the overall idle afterwards.

The spitting back won't hurt anything, it's just annoying.

right now i am 2 turns from a soft seat it runs nice but i will try a little more on it to see what it does and thanks every one
                1980 xs 11 special

Comment

I think 1.5 turns out is the starting point. From there it really depends on the carbs. If you have to go out too far to get it right, then your supposed to go up a pilot jet size, I think.

On mine I have them out about .5 to 1.5 turns depending on which carb.

'05 ST1300

Comment

i just went out there and turned them down and it seems to be doing a little better but i have to find out a way to get the fuel lines a little longer so i can take the tank off so i can get to the heads of the adjuster right now it is way to hart to get to them
                    1980 xs 11 special

Comment

That fuel line thing is definitely a pain. Try getting some extra fuel line and some in-line splicers. You can then just add an extension to the length of the lines whenever you need them.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Many of us here put inline fuel filters on, then run the fuel lines from each petcock to the OPPOSITE side of the carbs.

This gives extra line to be able to lift up the tank.

I use a screwdriver bit between my thumb and forefinger to adjust mine. I also have a very short screwdriver, used for eyeglasses, that works fairly well.

Biggest thing is not getting burnt while readjusting the idle screw.

'05 ST1300

Comment

i have learned that the hard way all ready but i like to work on things with my shorts on and i all ready have 3 burns on my legs and on one of my hands from adjusting the idle but that is what i get when i work with shorts but it got really hot in the shed to day so i could only work on it for a little but i will get it soon
                          1980 xs 11 special

Comment

Working...
                          X