No announcement yet.

LED Driving lights, Light up your life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Driving lights, Light up your life.

I'm hearing that our 1100's have a commmon downfall....

the charging curcuit.

i am a HUGE fan of driving lights to light up the road at night.
    and the problem is.... it will drain the battery.

so i dug up a few links and would like some feedback.

#1, it appears to be a work in progress.. but may have merit.
    http://www.panoptesled.com/

#2, a bit pricy at $277 but seeing a deer sooner IS better.
    http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-20786.html

#3 Hmm, save money? do-it-yourself? any engineers around here???
    http://www.plasmaled.com/3w_high_power_led.htm

no, serious, is there any engineers that would consider tackling our lighting
    problems?? for less then $200
    i do alot of night driving, i've alway's had bikes with stronger charging sys.
    now i have a BIG problem, i like the 11SF but i've got NO light

or is there an upgrade that can be made to the charging system???

let me know ladies and gents!!
    1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You can install led tail lights,and license plate lights that draw less power and turn signals if you use a two prong electronic flasher.(this will delete your auto shut off function)Also there are some hotter regulator/rectifier units available.Try search function and tech tips if my memory serves me correctly. Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

you could always switch out the headlight for one of those HID ones, they have a transformer you'd hove to hide but you'd get more light with less power.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

more questions then answers..

2 very good tips..

The HID is a good idea, but WHAT A PRICETAG.. wow.

i guess i'm a bit to much of a cheapskate, and i like modifing stuff..

no other tweeks?

i take it nobody has tryed finding a swapable stator assembly?

i KNOW other bikes have stronger stators.
        on my 250 ninja, I'm running:
        100watt high beam 90watt low beam headlight
        2- 35watt driving lights
        heated handgrips
        and yes i've run all 3 for hours at a crack.
        I have yet to see any problems with a weakened battery.

is this just a yamaha problem? or just our 11's?
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Hey Mindweb,

It's our 11's. They use a brushless ALT and it only cranks out about 20 amps at 5Krpm, the XJ's brush unit puts out about 26 amps at similar rpm.

Due to the limited space, as well as $$ factor, putting more windings were not really financially feasible. Thus, using LED's for the running lights, even the dash lights can free up many AMPs that can then be used for the AUX lights. I have a standard 55/60 watt headlamp and use 2 35 watt driving lights, and as long as on the highway or maintaining 4K + rpm, no problems, and no dimming of the headlight even when slowing to idle or hitting the brake lights.

A few threads have discussed this, a search should reveal them.
          But feel free to experiment, let us know if you find an alternative that either fits inside the OEM case, or mounting one with a pulley and such!?
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My hi/lo HID was about $60.

Brightest headlight I have ever seen. My friend's will not drive in front of me at night.

I also have all LEDs everwhere else, including the dash.

I do have a problem aiming my headlight, as I can't get it low enough. I run out of screw.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Craz, what light did you get and where from?
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

I got mine off Ebay, similar to the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BI-XE...Q5fAccessories

However, you have to watch shipping. Mine came out of china.

You have to make sure your getting a genuine HID, telescopic hi/lo beam.

HIDs don't have an element, so they use a solonoid to move the bulb in or out of a cover to simulate hi lo beams.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Did yours include the lens/reflector part that the bulb goes into? I've never changed my headlight but I'm pretty sure its a sealed beam on my bike. I've read that the reflector is critical for the HID lights to be "aimed" correctly so they don't blind other drivers.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

No, I used the lens that was already on the bike (Yamaha vetter fairing). The kit just comes with a replacment bulb.

I can't lower my headlight quite enough to aim it properly, but oncoming traffic doesn't seem to have an issue, they aren't 'flashing' me very often.

It is more annoying, I think, to the people I am following.

'05 ST1300

Comment

If you go with the HID conversion for the headlight, do you also need to do LED's for the remaining lights on the bike in order to have enough power for all the lights?
                      Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

HID actually uses less power, they are a more efficient form of lighting, I think the ones that Craz linked to on e-bay are rated at 35watts, your normal halogen headlights are in the range of 55+ depending on what you get. So a HID uses less power and produces more light. Kind of like a flourecent bulb for your house, they use less power then a normal bulb because they are better at converting power to light.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Exactly, Psyco. The HIDs draw 35 watts Hi or Low beam.

Most Halogen are 55/65 or somewhere in there.

I have a stereo system and satelite radio on mine, so I wanted to scrounge as much power as I could. Plus with the Vetter trunk lights, and all 4 marker lights lit all the time, any savings are good.

I also colored my guages a funky green.

The only downside is losing the auto-cancel on the signals. I still think it should be possible to wire those load resistors into the signal light lines to be able to use the stock flasher.

'05 ST1300

Comment

If you wire in a load resistor you might as well just switch back to standard bulbs for the flashers. The resistor just makes LED's look like bulbs to the flasher by burning up some extra current.
                            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

Hi guys,
                              I have a pair of driving lamps I was thinking about using (not sure the size) and was wondering how much is too much? Should I stay below 35 watt lamps? All electronics are stock right now except for a fuse box conversion and 2 small aditional break lamps... The head light already dims slightly when breaking, nothing serious but it doesnt make much sense in adding more light if its going to be overall dimmer! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
                              Last edited by WMarshy; 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Working...
                              X