Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical question

I have a few wires that I need to figure out. On the front of the bike, there are two blue wires that fit into one female fitting. A brown wire with a double female fitting. and one red and yellow striped cable with a male fitting. The other is green and yellow with a male fitting.

I do not have the front blinkers hooked up. They have a grey and a black and yellow striped wire for each side.

I have a wiring diagram... but I also have a poetry book written in Chinese. I can't read either.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sam Christensen
    The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
    If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

You give us no of idea the year/model?

Do you have a voltmeter, or a test light it's easy to hook up and turn on to find out which wire does what.

Comment

He's got an 80SG. I know the blue double wire is an extra for a fairing. Brown should be right turn signal hot.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        He's got an 80SG. I know the blue double wire is an extra for a fairing. Brown should be right turn signal hot.
        Green is the other turn signal.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

I believe blue is 12 volts hot with the key on and red is 12 volts hot always.
          Paul
          1983 XJ1100 Maxim
          1979 XS1100 Standard
          1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by blue giant View Post
            I believe blue is 12 volts hot with the key on and red is 12 volts hot always.
            The Brown double female connector is Auxiliary power and it's hot when the key is on.

The Blue wires are running lights. The ones paired with the turn signal wires should be hot when the key is on; the single Blue wire is hot after the engine starts.

The Red wire is Battery power and is always hot.

The Red/Yellow wire goes to the emergency flashers.

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

OK, I could not figure things out yesterday, so I unhooked and rehooked everything and made a list of the connections that I am not sure of

From the harness there are two black tubes of wires coming forward. From the one that also has the head light connection, I have a:
              • green and yellow striped.
              • a solid red
              • A brown that has a double female connection
              • a black that has a double female connection and two wires with washers soldered to the ends.

From the other black tube, I have
              • a blue wire with an open female connection that also has a blue line that attaches to a back three prong female connector (That is attached)

The front blinkers have a grey wire and a black and yellow wire from each side.

Currently the rear blinkers, the horn and the starter button work (Have not started it yet, because I am waiting on fuel line)

Should the head light work without starting the engine?

Thanks for helping me through this.
              Sam Christensen
              The Chronicles of my Rebuild http://xs1100rebuild.blogspot.com

--------------------------------------------------------
              If you are leading and no one is following, maybe your just taking a walk.

Currently bikeless. Sold my 1980 XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsam View Post
                From the harness there are two black tubes of wires coming forward. From the one that also has the head light connection, I have a:
                • green and yellow striped.
                Brake light wire from the front brake switch.

• a solid red
                Battery power.

• A brown that has a double female connection
                Auxiliary power that comes from the keyswitch and is hot when the switch is on.

• a black that has a double female connection and two wires with washers soldered to the ends.
                Probably ground wires for the turn signal stalks that would go under the nuts and washers on the signal mounts.

From the other black tube, I have
                • a blue wire with an open female connection that also has a blue line that attaches to a back three prong female connector (That is attached)
                The Blue wire is for the Instrument lights and the Clymer's schematic shows the Auxiliary running light wire tied into the same wire as the instrument lights. It should only be hot after the engine starts and the Headlight Relay kicks on.

The front blinkers have a grey wire and a black and yellow wire from each side.
                Do you mean wires from the signal stalks/lamps themselves, not from the harness? You may have a set of stalks with dual-element bulbs for front running lights and turn signals. Remove the lens and look at the bulb to see if it has one or two elements.

If it's a dual-element bulb, one wire will go to the running light element, the other will go to the turn signal element. Ground return should be through the stalk itself to the frame through those Black wires with the washers soldered on the ends.

Currently the rear blinkers, the horn and the starter button work (Have not started it yet, because I am waiting on fuel line)

Should the head light work without starting the engine?

Thanks for helping me through this.
                Not a problem, Sam. Unless someone has bypassed the Headlight Relay, the headlight on a XS1100SG should not come on until the bike is started and the Headlight Relay latches on.

Regards,

Scott
                -- Scott
                _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                1979 XS1100F: parts
                2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                X