to rich below 2500 or so rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to rich below 2500 or so rpms

Ok I am almost done with my bike and it is running great above 2500 but below it is way to rich. I can't quite figure out why.I have a 79 sf 4-1 with pods 152.5 mains and 47.5 pilots do I need to drop maybe to 45 pilots? Btw my exhaust is open no muffler. It runs like a beast once it opens. Maybe it could be the float hight? Idk
    79 XS 1100 Special

I would suggest dropping your needle a notch. I have the newer 81 carbs and somehow....DAMH....the needle in one carb got put back together in the wrong order which raised the needle up just a touch from the rest. That cylinder would foul out at 2500 and below. The other three were fine. JAT.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

152.5 mains??!!

Comment

Yep 152.5 that's what I said when I first when to 150 and now 152.5 but like I said it pulls like a mule after around 3000
        79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

You getting about 20 mpg?lol That sounds way too fat.If you think it pulls hard now then lean it out a little and it will really pull.You also have big pilots too.Unless you have some big bore kit and cams you are probably running too rich.
          I think if it was me ,I would go closer to stock and work up from there if the thing is too lean.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Also how about the srew plugs in the pilot jets mounting bosses?
            I think they were installed in 79 carbs?
            If missing they might screw up the mixture at lower rpms.
            George
            1980 XS1100 special
            4 to 1 Kerker exhaust
            120 mph speedo.
            1979 carbs jetted 147 mains
            47 idle

1980 XJ 650

Comment

Here is the link that I went but according to this my jetting should be right?

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=382
              79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Hey Exxxcess,

The key word in that tip is "GUIDE", not LAW! Fine tuning and testing is still required/suggested with any mods. You have to see how the bike behaves, and make adjustments accordingly. Have you done the throttle chop technique to inspect the plugs for the status of the mains?

Also, how many turns out are your pilot screws? Yes, you could be a bit too rich on the pilot jets IF that's where you are having trouble, bogging under low throttle in that low rpm?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I do not know what that throttle technique is. It is bogging and dosnt have much power and there is some strong smelling black smoke after it opens up it sounds and feels great.I couldn't ask for it to run any better.
                  79 XS 1100 Special

Comment

Your pilot jets are too big. Go down to 45's
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                    X