Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Fuse

Hi everybody.

I got a XJ1100J during the last April, and few weeks ago I noticed that my bike had the headlight fuse wrapped with a piece of aluminum wrapping paper. I removed that paper and turn the bike on. Then I realize that the fuse (glass type) got extremely hot (I burned my fingers). I decided to remove the fuse but now I don't have the headlight working. I've been reading some post, but I must confess that I'm a total illiterate regarding to bikes (this is my first one) and electric stuffs. Some of these post suggest checking ground and charging, and I guess that is not the problem. At least, I got all the other fuses working normally. The headlight is also ok, except for this fuse thing that get hot. Anyway, I have no idea about these things.

Any suggestion?

BTW, I checked the voltage with my cheap voltmeter, and it turns out that the headlight fuse has 50V while the other three fuses have about 10V, I think. I'm sure there must be a problem hehe

Do a search for the thread on replacing the fuse box as it sounds like you need to do it. TC on here has a nice little box he sells for like $8 or so that works really well. The actual replacement is pretty easy if you just do it fuse by fuse, and it makes for a more modern look under the side cover where nobody ever looks

I've done this fix on both my Yamaha's and it took them from barely working electrically to pretty reliable electrics.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Fuse box mod. will save you a lot of headaches down the road. Heat is caused by resistance, which means your connectors could probably use a cleaning. Apply some di-electric grease to avoid future corrosion.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

BTW, I checked the voltage with my cheap voltmeter, and it turns out that the headlight fuse has 50V
        WTF Am I the only one who sees a big problem here?? Either you need a new meter or you need to unplug your bike form the wall socket, or the other four batteries you got hooked up. 50V from a 12V power supply is pretty dang good if you ask me.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Hey DG,

I saw that too, and although he says his charging must be okay, it could actually be too strong, like a messed up reg/rect overcharging? He needs to check his voltage across the battery at idle and again at 2500 rpm, and it shouldn't go over 14.5 volts. IF it's much higher, then your charging system is messed up!

Do you have an owner's manual? Are you sure you're checking the headlight fuse?

Yes, more diagnostics and investigation are in order!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You also should NEVER bypass or enhance a fuse with any metal object unless you like putting out fires. Did you confirm the amperage of the fuse? It should be 10 amp only. More then that and you will be damaging something else and have a bigger issue in the end.

Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

You know I had an old xs750 (78 model) that was used and abused by many a PO including me to be honest. Long story short,no pun intended, I hopped a curb once and ever since had a short to ground that would periodically short out the main fuse. I put a 10 ga wire across it, and it burned through it. I am sure that eventually I burned the harness up good somehere because it no longer would work with the direct connection.

Yeah, do not do that!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
              X