Oil EMGO filters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil EMGO filters?

So my bike started running like shizzle the other night on the commute home, but only at idle, low RPMs. Well, thats when it got real bad. I had been getting progressively worse for a while. I immediately thought pilot circuit. Yanked the carbs and BAM! entire idle circuit full of red K&N air filter oil. GRRR! I had just cleaned/reoiled my EMGO pods about 3-4 weeks ago and used K&N brand oil.

Did I use to much? I've done this procedure several times and never had any problems.

I'm thinking about not even oiling the little bastards. Is this advisable? Anyone else ever go without the oil?
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

The oil does 2 things:

1 - It acts as a water-repellent, and keeps the weather out of the filter element.

2 - It makes the filter "sticky" and closes the pores a bit, trapping the dirt better than without the oil.

I would not suggest going without the oil. You may have added a bit too much, as it doesn't take much to fill up those tiny ports in the carbs (hence the need for a small-pore, oiled filter).
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I run K&N filters in everything that I can buy a filter. I haven't ever had any problen with having the oil sucked out of the filter.
      Of course that powerful 2.2 liter in my 85 Toy 4X4 pu doesn't wind like the XS.
      For the K&N's in my cars I just get enough of an light oil coating to give an even red coat. Meaning no white spots. I learned that from a fellow who had a K&N on a car he raced. I let them set for a bit before I install them to let the oil move around and even out before installing the filter.
      Did you let the filters dry thourghly before oiling them? I literally take about three + hours start to finish for cleaning and oiling. Oh, well.

Does EMCO have an oil they recommend for their filters?
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I couldn't find any info on their website about what to use to oil the air filters. I though I let them dry thoroughly, but perhaps I didn't. :S:S

I'll look into it.
        Corey J. Bennett
        '79 XS1100SF

Comment

K&N filter oil is just dyed vegetable oil.

I use anything from cooking spray to WD40 for my filters. I can't see paying $8-10 for a small squirt of vegetable oil, so I don't.

You can get pure vegetable oil spray for $2, and that stuff attracts dirt quite well. It does get gummy though, which WD40 doesn't, but I don't think WD attracts dirt as well.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
          X