Origional Paint Colour For XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origional Paint Colour For XS11

Can anyone help I am taking my XS of the road soon for a damn good clean up, I plan to rebuild it mostly standard with a few trick extras. It is a 1979 model origionally imported for the U.S. market chassis No. ZH7028296 if anyone can help me with the origional paint colour/s I would be forever in your debt. I apologise for my spelling i woke up dyslexic this morning. Thank You
    ThUmPeR!

If you are looking to match the Indigo Blue, good luck. If you find it, please share it with us.
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

Colors

According to the parts fiche there were 2 colors, indigo blue and magenta red. I read somewhere that the XS might have cam ein black too. Hope this helps.

As for getting the match done. Best bet is if you stil have some of the original paint on the bike take a chip or part into a GOOD paint store and they should be able to make the paint for you. it will look like the faded paint though. Or they might have the archive or the original colors too. Ya never know what luck might bring ya on that. As for me. i plan on painting my XS Sapphire black with red/green metallic flake(my favorite color).

Good Luck,
      Cuda

Comment

I have taken my indigo blue side cover to three different paint shops and all three came up with the same thing, a metallic green.

Yamaha's Indigo Blue looks blue until a direct light is applied. It then reveals a green tint. I think this throws off the computer paint testing computers.

I took my side cover to a good friend that paints custom cars. He thought it might be a metallic blue base color with a green tinted clear coat. Some day I will give his suggestion a try to see how it turns out.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Has anyone here ever tried House of Color?
          Garry
          '79 SF "Battle Cat"
          outbackweld@charter.net

Comment

I've always liked the red better. I've seen fairings color matched to the red that looked factory.

Geezer

Originally posted by Dennyz
            I have taken my indigo blue side cover to three different paint shops and all three came up with the same thing, a metallic green.

Yamaha's Indigo Blue looks blue until a direct light is applied. It then reveals a green tint. I think this throws off the computer paint testing computers.

I took my side cover to a good friend that paints custom cars. He thought it might be a metallic blue base color with a green tinted clear coat. Some day I will give his suggestion a try to see how it turns out.
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I got an 80 special with the original Paint and I would call it black with red metal flake in it. Only in the bright kight though.

Comment

From what I remember... especially on the Specials, Virago and Maxim...... Yamaha was quite fond of other than just basic black. They liked to use a colored metallic base coat in red, silver, gold or blue and cover it with a translucent black.
                1978 XS1100E "Flashback"

"If at first you don't succeed.... Get a bigger hammer."

Comment

Working...
                X