Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size

I'm sorry for another tire thread but I need to know. I have an 82 XJ 1100 and I need to know if anyone is running the Bridgestone spitfire S11 tires and what size are they using. I used them on my other bike and liked them.
    The P/O use wrong parts on this bike to put it together and I want to make sure I order the right size tires.
    Again sorry for the thread and thanks for the help.
    Rob
    82 XJ1100
    Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
    Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Hey Project,

The spec sizes are 100/90-19 for front, folks have put 110/90-19's on their XS's, and I'm pretty sure it'll fit the XJ as well, providing your front fender isn't too close to the tire to begin with.

The rear is 130/90-16". A few folks have fit some blackwalled 140/90-16 Dunlops, but it's a crap shoot as to whether it'll rub on the driveshaft side, so the stock 130/90-16 is a safe bet.

These are the stock metric sizes for these tires, have not check the Bridgestone site to compare how they list their sizes!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just put a Bridgestone Spitfire, 130/90-16, on the back of the Special.

If you stay with the stock size you can use any brand. It only gets touchy if you try and go bigger.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

The S11 110/19 hits the front fender on my 79 Special, so I run the 100/19. Don't know if it would on an XJ though. 130/16 on the rear will be fine. I've found that the Brigestone S11's run just a bit wider for their size as compared to other brands I've used in the past.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

shinko classic 240

the shinko classic 240 found http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...whitewall-tire

will this fit on my 79 xs11 special??
          79 XS1100SF k&n pod filters
          emgo shorty mufflers (w/o baffles)
          chopped rear
          springer seat
          led turn signels
          led brake light
          side mount verticle plate
          drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
          8" biltwell chumps
          chopped rear
          nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

The Bridgestone S11 Spitfire runs true to size. 100/90-19 for the front and 130/90-16 on the back. One size larger and you are likely to have interference. I have a set on one of my bikes and I like them just fine.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by hondakid11 View Post
              the shinko classic 240 found http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...whitewall-tire

Hondakid,

I have no experience with this tire. MT90 is the correct size. Apparently, you're going for appearance and not performance. This should fit.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

It will fit, but is designed for front or rear usage on vintage Harleys. Handling will suffer....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The XS111's don't care whats on them, as long as they are good shape and not old. Wore down, handling goes to crap....in a hurry pushin' corners hard.........other than that, don't ask what BRAND of oil to use.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                    The XS111's don't care whats on them, as long as they are good shape and not old. Wore down, handling goes to crap....in a hurry pushin' corners hard.........other than that, don't ask what BRAND of oil to use.

This time the question was what size for a particular tire. Simple fitment questions. No foul.

Very few tires are true to size. Some run small, others big.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Yea, i decided to go with the bridgestone spitfire. i just thought those vintage style tires looked cool. but with my trip coming up at the end of next week, i decided to go quality, not style.
                      79 XS1100SF k&n pod filters
                      emgo shorty mufflers (w/o baffles)
                      chopped rear
                      springer seat
                      led turn signels
                      led brake light
                      side mount verticle plate
                      drag bars.

86 Suzuki Intruder VS700
                      8" biltwell chumps
                      chopped rear
                      nasty twins drag pipes

Comment

If you DO go Shinko, go for the tour tire. It is made to handle the weight of the touring bikes, and the XS11 is heavy.
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yea, i decided to go with the bridgestone spitfire. i just thought those vintage style tires looked cool. but with my trip coming up at the end of next week, i decided to go quality, not style.
                          Spitfire is a good tire. It works good. I put a new one on my 11 Special and was carving corners two-up. My license plate was rapidly getting covered in tire dust. I moved the tire to my XS650 where it still happily resides. I think you'll like it if you don't treat it like I did. You might like it even if you do. It sticks good!
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

How about these?

These are the tires I'm planning on ordering for my XS project...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-90-19-13...3D371574929013

I hear these bikes need a certain type of tire, then I hear they really don't... Any objections?
                            >>Insert clever statement here<<

Comment

The Shinko 712 is the best tire for the $ in my opinion. I run it on the front and I run the 110 with no rubbing issues.

Don't like it on the rear, it doesn't last (about 3000 miles on the last one) and I personally don't like the way it feels. The sidewall is too soft, feels squishy hard in the turns.

I prefer the Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear. Stock 130/90/19 size.
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X