'79 xs11 engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '79 xs11 engine swap

anyone ever swapped or thought about swapping a 99-01 R1 powerplant into a '79 or roundabout year bike?

anything possable with the right amount of money and MADNESS!!!
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

But why? If you want an R1 then get one, otherwise improve on the original stuff, like converting to EFI. Maybe put a turbo on it, but stick with the normal engine at least, that would be worse than chopping it.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

ha! thats funny! because i just sold an r1. i wanted an old school yamaha so i found a 79 special. i was tired of the hunched over crap all the time, but i loved the power though. turbo would be an option for the 11. i would be interested to see what i would have to do to the carbs for the added pressure. anyone ever messed with it?

Comment

turbo would be an option for the 11. i would be interested to see what i would have to do to the carbs for the added pressure. anyone ever messed with it?
          There are one or two "kits" that were built "in the day" that had single carbs on the kit. The Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo DID pressure the carbs, and used a fuel pump to keep fuel flowing under boost. I am looking into building an FI/turbo one off for my '78 "hot rod" project, but alas it will probably be another year or two out unless I get a job again.
          The turbo kits DID put these bikes in the 10 second range, and if you put GOOD valves and springs, you could probably run them at 9.5K RPM without killing them. That would be about 150MPH top speed, and get there in a BIG hurry.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
          X